Keltec vs. Kahr Elite !

Marcus

No it`s not a joke. :) I just got to try out a new Kahr K-9 Elite today side by side with my trusty ol Keltec. I thought you guys might like to hear how it went. First, I was suprised how small the Kahr was,darn near as small as the P-11 and slimmer through the slide. The just slightly longer grip was just enough for me to get a full grip. BTW the Kahr grip feels really good. The K-9`s trigger was great,short,light and SMOOTH. The P-11s was ,like always, just okay and long. The Kahr`s sights were great,nice crisp sight picture. The P-11`s are ,adequate. The Kahr trigger takes some getting used to (I`m already used to the Keltec). It`s to SA`ish to treat like a DA and too DA`ish to treat like an SA,but it feels really good. I was convinced the Kahr would blow my ol Keltec away in shooting drills and set out to prove it. Imagine my suprise when groups fired with the Kahr that *felt* super good,turned out to be mediocre. :( I spent the next 100rds. trying to get the groups to look as good as they "felt". The best I could muster with it was about 3" at 15yds. off hand. Next I gave the Keltec a chance,same, bout 3". On to the rapid fire drills. Again the Kahr felt great. I shot it okay but not great,again. Darn. Keltec? Didn`t feel as good but actually shot a little better. Bear in mind I`ve got thousands of rounds through the Keltec and about 100 through the Kahr. Sigh...I still think with more practice I can do much better with the Kahr where I`m about as good as I`m gonna get with the Keletc. BTW I was using a new FIST ultra thin kydex clip on IWB holster with the Kahr. Nice holster, super thin,the clip holds like a pitbull and it was fast into action while retaining the gun pretty well. Final conclusion: Since the Keltec shot just about as well for me as the Kahr and holds 3 more rounds I think it`s still a better bet (for me) as a carry gun. Still the Kahr Elite/FIST kydex holster combo is really sweet and I`m more than a little jealous. :) I`m looking foreward to shooting it again to see if I can wring some real accuracy out of it. I`m pretty sure it`ll do it if I can. Marcus

Big price dif, no?

I have the Kahr P9 and I like it a lot but I may get a MK9 Elite for it`s smaller size. 3" groups ain`t bad. I`ve never shot a KelTec so I have no reference but I`ve heard for the money it`s a good gun.

Hang in there Dinosaur... Kahr promises they're going to make a polymer Micro series... (MP9)...

Yep, you can buy 2 Kel Tecs for the price of one Kahr K9 elite... But that trigger is SOOO sweet on the Kahr...

If I could just get my Kahr P9 and a Kel-Tec P11 to mate... I'd be the happiest gun toter around! (I think the P9 would be a better gun with a double stacked 10 round mag)

Marcus, keep shooting that Kahr... it's SO much more accurate than I would have thought. But I do wonder why you opted for the more expensive all steel jobbie, when the P9 is about the same weight as your beloved Kel-Tec, comes with the Elite trigger, and is SUCH a dream. I do agree though, that the Kahr K series is the most comfortable CCW pistol I've ever held.

One more thing, ProMag makes 8 rounders for the Kahr, that most have had no problems at all with. That narrows the round count disparity to a mere 2 rounds.

Good luck!

Onslaught, that`s what I`ve heard, but when?

AFA the Pro Mags, I have 6 I got from CDNN. Brand new and none of them will hold the slide open consistently. I got 2 extra factory mags so I just use the P-M`s for practice.

I went shooting today. It started to rain so I only shot my Colt DS.
This way I didn`t have to chase brass.:) What a difference now. The P9 has me spoiled. I have the smaller Agent grips on the DS and the recoil was terrible. I was using factory 148 gr. WC`s which aren`t hot at all. I used to shoot expert every year with that gun. Since I still carry it once in awhile I need to shoot it a lot more.

Onslaught, the problem is the Kahr isn`t mine! Doh. It`s a relatives,he let me shoot it so he could get my opinion on it. I gave it a big thumbs up. :) I`m thinking a P40 would fit the bill nicely for me though. Heh heh. :D Marcus

I really like my K9 stainless. I've talked to people who've been to Thunder Ranch and Gunsite who tell me that Kel-Tec shooter's are worn out at the end of the day, while Kahr shooters are still going strong.

Kahr's are expensive, but how much is your life worth.
Like many classic guns, the Kahr is just somehow RIGHT.

Can't comment about Kel-Tec,

but have a Kahr K9 Stainless Elite and really like it. Smooth trigger, accurate, excellent fit and finish. great gun as far as I'm concerned!

Df, I can see where folks would say that. The Keltec is a gun best carried a lot and shot a little. I seldom put more than 100rds. through mine at a time. The Kahr I`d happily shoot all day. I still wouldn`t give up my Keltec though. :) Marcus

Back