Kel-Tec p40 is the worse gun I've ever shot.

utvols

My dad got a p40 for Christmas and fell in love with the size, capacity, ergonomics. Then we got a chance to shoot it. THIS IS THE FIRST GUN I'VE EVER SHOT THAT I COULD NOT HANDLE. After the 4th shot we had to change hands. My dad has a clip extension and a grip on it. I love my p32 and always wanted one in .40 but this thing is ridiculous. Is there a 9mm conversion for this gun, and would that even help?

I am glad to know not to try the Kel Tec .40 model out. I don't like snappy recoiling guns and it sounds to me like I'd have trouble handling it as well.

If I were you, I'd sell the bugger (or trade it in) for something that you can handle easier.

A friend of mine has one of these. He added a Hogue Hand-all to his, and says that it makes the gun vastly more comfortable for him to shoot. I didn't think the gun was unpleasant in the first place, but I realize recoil is actually a fairly subjective thing.

Did you expect such a light gun chambered in .40 to be a pussycat?

Thats why I got the 9mm version. Its a breeze to shoot and the hogue handall and mag extention addition makes it very controllable. To answer your question, yes. The 9MM slide and barrel will fit right into your existing gun. Im sure if you looked around you would find someone willing to trade ya for thier 9MM.

Tim :)

P40 is the only pistol I have ever owned that I HATED shooting. Don't mind .44 mag, .45, .357 mag, but that sucker just tore my hand up. P11 9mm was fine!

Having shot many rounds thru the P11, I can only imagine what the P40 must be like. It's great that they make such small light guns for CC, but at some point the costs start to outweigh the benefits. It shouldn't be too hard to trade.

I have a 9mm P11 that I think is a pussycat. Talk about power, I want to get a .40 slide and a .357 Barrel. The 9mm shoots so soft, I think I can handle the .40 and even the .357. But, I LOVE RECOIL. Seriously, recoil does not seem to bother me at all, in fact I like it up to a certain point.

I have a 9mm P11 slide with only about 300 rounds through and has been %100 reliable and amazingly accurate. I would trade for a .40 slide or a .357 slide. My slide has been completely finished with Metacol 3 (seen at http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com) so it is utterly rust proof.

I have not shot the .40 KelTec yet though, so I appreciate the heads up.

My P40 experiences frequent failures to feed, but I don't find the recoil particularly uncomfortable. I also have a P11 (9mm) that is very reliable. I haven't shot them side by side, but I didn't notice the P40 being drastically worse than the P11. I'm also thinking of getting a .357 sig barrel for it. I plan to get the hard chrome upgrade (replacement barrel and slide) from Kel-tec, so I haven't worried much about the current reliablility problems with the P40 (when I get the slide and barrel I'm going to keep, then I'll do what it takes - if anything - to make it reliable).

Doug

I don't have any problems shooting my P11, and it is my everyday carry gun, but I can imagine a P40 would be tough. For me, the trigger is the worst thing about the P11, not recoil or muzzleflip. The sights suck though :).

Back