Kel-Tec P11 or P40 ???

Guyon

I was thinking of getting one of these smaller pistols for concealed carry, and I have a few questions.

1) Is the recoil substantially stronger in the .40 caliber? Enough to make you wish you were shooting a 9 mm?

2) Is there a significant difference in stopping power? Enough to go with the .40 S&W?

3) Is it a lot more expensive to shoot the .40 caliber? I have a pistol in 9mm and sort of was leaning toward the .40 since it's a caliber I don't own; but if .40 S&W ammo is considerably more expensive, I might just go with the 9 mm. I can get Winchester white box for $6 a box in 9 mm.

4) Is $240 a good price for a new Kel-Tec?

5) What are your experiences with these handguns? Does Kel-Tec treat their customers right?

I have owned both - got rid of the P40.

1) Is the recoil substantially stronger in the .40 caliber? Enough to make you wish you were shooting a 9 mm?

Yes. 50 rounds through the P40 was very unpleasant. Double taps were barely possible in the true sense of the word.

2) Is there a significant difference in stopping power? Enough to go with the .40 S&W?

I won't get into that debate! :)

3) Is it a lot more expensive to shoot the .40 caliber? I have a pistol in 9mm and sort of was leaning toward the .40 since it's a caliber I don't own; but if .40 S&W ammo is considerably more expensive, I might just go with the 9 mm. I can get Winchester white box for $6 a box in 9 mm.

.40 is more expensive, by about half where I shoot.

4) Is $240 a good price for a new Kel-Tec?

Yes. It is pretty much standard around here (Atlanta).

5) What are your experiences with these handguns? Does Kel-Tec treat their customers right?

Kel-tec has EXCELLENT customer service.

Before you buy, go to http://www.ktog.org for lots of info.

Pretty much what Hawkman said. I have a P11 (9mm) and can't
really say it is fun to shoot with factory ammo, so for practice I load down quite a bit. Have shot the 40 and it was more punishment than I cared to shoot on a regular basis. I have lots and lots of rounds through my P11, bought it used - after two years, saw hairline slide cracks, sent it to Kel-Tec, got back new slide, new barrel, etc. Customer Service is absolutely first rate.

Shoot both of them first. You may not have any problem.

$240 is a bit high at the shows in Northern VA. Seen recently for $220.

Regards,
Jim

I have the P11, and I've shot the P40 several times. IMO, the .40 was just a bit too punishing for my hand, but the P11 is not bad. If I can't solve the problem with 11 rounds of 9mm HydraShok, I need backup, not a larger caliber! :)

Back