Kel-Tec P-32 Recoil Spring Change

Kentucky Rifle

My P-32's serial number is in the 7000's. I read that K-T had started putting stronger recoil springs in the new models, so I sent K-T an e-mail asking if this was true. They said it was and that they would be happy to send one "right out to me at no cost".
It came today with a new recoil rod. I installed it all as a unit and put the old recoil rod and shorter spring in with my other spare parts. (Labelled, of course.) When I put my P-32 back together with the new parts, it didn't work smoothly. Something was binding. As I was working the action, the slide even hung up half way back! I took out the new recoil rod and re-installed the old rod with the new heavier springs and everything worked as before...smooth as glass. I took both recoil rods out and laid them side by side and they appeared to be identical in every way, yet the old one always worked more smoothly. I decided to tinker a little with the new rod. I polished it up with "Scotch-Guard" and lubed it with Tufoil. Now it seems to work as well as the old rod.
Anyone else get the new springs for their P-32 and have the same type problem with a new recoil rod? I'm mystified as to why two seemingly identical recoil rods would act differently.

Kentucky Rifle

Maybe . . .

The new one needs a little fluff and buff with the 600 grit. Since these parts are so small, I imagine a small discrepancy in the tolerances of the machining could make a significant difference. Maybe they make the rods a little big so they can be fit tightly when installed.

I guess I'll get the factory to send me out a recoil setup. I've already replaced the stock springs with Wolff Xpower, but not the guide rod.

I installed Wolff 11 lb recoil springs and 10% stronger magazine springs and they worked well. Used the same plastic recoil spring guide.

Back