Kel-tec P-11

lapdog

Inactive
Need input on this 9MM. Does anyone have anything good or bad to say. Am going to look at one in the near future. The person says he has 2 mags with finger extensions and that he is looking for $250. Is he in there or out there. What i'm looking for is a always gun to back up my Sig 239. Hav'nt been able to get any help from Kel-Tec sight so any help on this would be great. Tahnks all.

Use the search feature and you`ll turn up a ton of stuff on the P-11. Mostly good,some bad like just about any gun. Personally I love mine! I lost track at 4000+ rounds (many +Ps) through it without a single jam,broken part or sign of undue wear. It`s still shoots good enough to keep em all on a paper plate at 25yds. which is all I ask of a pocket gun. BTW if you do get one you owe it to yourself to try the belt clip,it`s a great little gadget! :) Marcus

Lots of power in a small package. Tough to find holsters (the only ankle holster I could find was Alessi). Not so easy to shoot well due to the small size, rough trigger, and light weight. Definately not a target gun, but a very good carry gun.

Visit Kel-Tec Owners Group at http://www.ktog.org for lots on info. Pay special attention to the "fluff and buff", a do it yourself "action job" procedure.

One good piece of general advice when buying a Kel-Tec is to find out how high the serial numbers are currently running and get a late number. KT has made running changes to some of their guns. Some dealers have low SNs in stock, without upgrades like stronger recoil springs.

We have a P32, serial number 13XXX, and they're up over 20XXX now. When we had a malf (hammer would not fall), we sent it back (great customer service, BTW) and they replaced ALL the internal parts! We basically got a new gun with the old polymer grip. Took it to the range Sunday and it worked like a champ.

The Keltec 11 is a good idea(small, light, easily consealable pistol in a respectable cartridge) but with certain drawbacks. Because it is light, recoil is up there so you are not going to want to shoot it as much as a fill sized gun. Trigger pull is designed for safety, very long. I can shoot da revolvers without trouble, but could never get used to the Keltec trigger. The gun is a 7 yard gun in the accuracy department. Also with Keltecs, unless things have changed in the last year or two, reliablity can vary from gun to gun. The gun was designed to be an inexpensive handgun, it would have been better to have spent some more money on quality and to have charged for it.

If you want an inexpensive gun that is utterly reliable get a Makarov.

I was in one of the gunshops that I frequent recently. They had a Keltec-32 and I asked about customer experiences, seems that 50% need to be sent back for trouble shooting.

I have a P-11 & really like it. The previously mentioned http://www.ktog.org site is very good.
I wouldn't worry about serial numbers, P-11s are far in excess of 100XXX as it has been produced for a several years now. The last change was at 23XXX when the trigger pull was lightened.
P-32s are now in the high 30XXX and probably into the 40XXXs. I have recently seen 39XXX serial numbers.
The P-11 trigger is very long, not necessarily hard. The gun was designed for close range concealed carry, not target shooting. Not everyone can get used to the trigger, try it first. The trigger shoe (available from KT) and trigger stop (see http://www.ktog.org) will help.

I have two stainless P-11s (and two P-32s), one is below s/n 9000, and the other is above s/n 38,000. They are both reliable (without the KTOG fluff and buff), accurate and easy to carry and conceal.

I have the factory trigger shoe on both, plus a steel guide rod, PT night sights and the belt clip on the carry piece.
For more info, try the message board at: http://www.ktog.org

Good luck.

View

I've had my P11 since Jan. While I've only shoot a few hundred rnds through it, I can say I like it. It conceals well, and I can shoot 1in groups at 10yds.

It takes a little getting used to, but overall it's not bad at all. There is a definite difference in recoil when plinking with the win white box ammo as opposed to my carry ammo, speer gold dot 124gr +P. But nothing that I would call excessive.

No frills, just out of the box ready.

Al.

I assume that the P-11 you're looking at is used. $250 may be a bit much unless it is pretty new. You can get a new P-11 for the low to mid $200s depending on where you are. Magazines are $20 from KT and I believe the grip extenders are $6-7. See http://www.kel-tec.com
The web site has prices for all the accessories. The P-11 comes with one magazine when new.
If this P-11 is in good condition and you KNOW it is reliable then it would be worth considering. Otherwise you should be able to get a new one and the accessories for close to the same price, maybe a little more.
Maybe you can go to the range with this person and try it out.

While the Mak is an excellent, reliable gun, it doesn't come close to filling the slot that the Keltec P11 does. Not only is it heavier and bigger, but it also shoots less rounds of a lesser caliber. FWIW, I have both, and the Mak is a fine range gun, but for truly discrete carry, the P11 is hard to beat.

Back