Kel-Tec: Can they be used as backup guns?

abcimixab

Greetings. I currently own several handguns. The only polymer frame pistol in my small arsenal is a G35. I am interested in purchasing a small backup pistol. Probably a 9 or a 40. I was considering a Kel-tec. What are you experiences w/ these guns. Do you have any other suggestions? Your input would be appreciated.

As I have posted before, I really like my KelTec handguns. I have a P-11 and a P-32.
Great quality, and great service,should you need it.

------------------
Just killin' time, but it's killin' you too.
Foghat

I had a Kel-Tec P-11 for about 4 months. It was a gift. The specs are very impressive with the gun, but I had problems with mine. I got it new and had 2 stove pipes in the first 200 rounds. I sent it back to the factory but still had the problem I fired another couple hundred rounds and sent it back again. After about 1k fired through it and 2 or 3 trips back to the factory i had to return it. If you are looking for a carry gun I wouldn't recomend the Kel-Tec because of my experiences with it. I had five or six other people fire my gun to see if the stovepiping was a result of me limpwristing but it happened to them too. I have never had another problem like that with any other gun, so I would steer clear of Kel-Tec. I am currently trying to get a Glock 26 for a carry gun. It's not much bigger, but is more reliable. I also saw a Taurus P-111 Millenium Which is close to the kel tec in specs that runs for about the same price. i haven't fired one but it looks alot like it.

I know this sounds redundant, but I also like my P-11 and P-32. Both are small, light, flat, and very easy to conceal with belt clips instead of holster. Visit www.ktog.org where the enthusiasts discuss every little problem and solution.

The p-32 weighs less empty than a loaded magazine for a 1911. 8 rds of 32acp is faster than reloading your other pistol.

------------------
Teach a non-shooter to shoot. Educate a voter.

I believe that the feeding problems on the Kel-tec P11 is much less evident on newer guns. However, my 2 month old P-11 had 3 or 4 failures to feed in the first 100 rounds. I took about 1/2 hour and did a "fluff-and-buff" according to the instructions at http://www.banzai-institute.org/rtx/kt/p117a.html with a dremel and some jeweler's rouge. I then ran 100 rounds through it and it fed all of them perfectly. I also used a little moly grease on the trigger parts and it is much smoother as well.

The low cost, low weight and small size of the P-11 makes it extremely attractive as a carry pistol. The fluff-and-buff ensures that it will be 100% reliable as well.

I have a Taurus PT111, and it is a great little gun. It is very accurrate, and lightweight. I am planning on getting a Keltec P32, because it is lightweight, which will be good to use for jogging, hiking etc.

Consider Kahr MK9 or MK40 -- they're better guns. I have MK40, and it shoots great and is highly accurate. Put 400 rounds through it in two range sessions with only a single failure -- the slide locked back with some rounds still in the mag. It happened the second time at the range, and as it turned out, since I put about 100 rounds on my first session and 300 on my second, the slide lock got very dirty and stayed up instead of springing down. As a concealed weapon, MK has very few rivals. Slip it in your pocket, and off you go...

I have a Kel-Tec P11 and it is one of my main carry guns. I have found it to be 100% reliable and with pretty good accuracy. It's simple to use and not alot of un-needed bells and whistles. And for the price, youcan't go wrong

------------------
"what gives a government that arms the whole world the right to disarm it's own citizens?"

Borrowed two Kel-Tecs (9mm) recently to see if my daughter liked them. She didn't (objected to the long trigger pull) but did like the borrowed Glock 26. Personally, I like the KT. Just the right size for backup piece and for jogging, etc.

Several of our officers carry the KT as a backup and off-duty piece. Never seen any problems with the gun. One of our armorers will replace the spring for !$3 (this lightens the trigger pull some. I also like the fact that it accepts S&W magazines, which are plentiful around here.

I have two .40 Glocks. I feel the KT is noticeably more compact, though if I KNEW I was headed toward a conflict, I would prefer to be carrying my Glocks (longer barrels, more ammo, shorter trigger pull- but larger). It is just easier to carry a Kel-Tec concealed.

As for reliability, I have had as many problems with malfunctions in my Glocks as I have in my KT's. I have had some failures to chamber with my P-32, but this had been using FN .32 hardball that would not function more than 50% of the time in an unmodified Guardian. (Spartacus had to polish his Guardian's feed ramp for it to reliably feed even Silvertips, btw.)

I don't recall any malfunctions with my P-11...

Back