Keeping your mags loaded........

gryphon

Since I am relatively new to semi-auto pistols, I have a question regarding the magazines. Does it hurt the spring in the magazine to have it fully loaded all the time? Should I rotate between multiple magazines over time, and if so how often?

I am asking this in the most general sense. I'm not refering to any particular pistol.

Hello. With quality magazines, there should be no problem. I believe that what actually "weakens" magazine springs is repeated compressing and decompressing the springs, ie: loading and emptying magazines.

Others will advise that one might rotate magazines to let them "rest."

I have no for sure, absolute, definitive answer, but will state that I've left Browning HP 9mm magazines loaded for several years other than to fire the ammo in them every so often and replace. I purposely left two such magazines loaded for 2 years and fired them dry with utterly no problems. Have kept 1911 magazines loaded over extended periods with no problems as well.

Some opine that downloading by one or two rounds helps.

I keep spare magazine springs for several of the pistols I own, but have never had to use them.

Best.

Greeting's Gentlemen:

As my friend Mr. Camp said, loading and unloading magzines
causes more wear and tear on the spring assembly, than does
leaving them fully loaded; at least that has been my experience, also. I will shoot all loaded magazine's about
every six month's, or so; then re-stoke them (after cleaning) for future use. I've experienced 0 problems from
Sig, Browning Hi-Power, or Glock magazines. The only exception to this rule is my Ruger MK-II KMK-512 .22LR;
and I don't even keep an empty magazine in this firearm.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Tip Of The Day: For Ruger MK-II .22 Cal L.R.:eek:
Ruger magazine release is under constant pressure, when a
magazine is inserted. Over time, the magazine release will
loose tension and have to be replaced. So, in order to avoid
trouble, I just don't insert a magazine, til I'm on the firing line and ready to shoot.:rolleyes:

I shot up some GI M-1 mags that I loaded up 20 years ago last year. they still work fine. Load the things and letting them sit for years is less strain on them than using them. Its the loading and shooting that wears them out.:)

While I cnnot authoritively add to the the load/reload abuse, I can say I have had a variety of pistol and rifle magazines loaded for +1 year at a time, with no ill effect.

Since we're "piling on", I'll jump in too. :) I also believe that loading and unloading is harder on the springs than just leaving them loaded. I know of 50 year old cars that still have like-new valve springs, so being compressed for a long time doesn't seem to be all that bad...

Back