Keeping screws tight on a scope 454 casull

Dano4734

Well I get the burris sighted in right on the button. After ten shots I have to keep tightening
The bottom screws on the super redhawk.. I make them as tight as you can and the recoil makes them loose.. What do you guys do, lock tight or something like that?

Purple as well

Although harder to find purple loctite is the "right stuff" according to the folks that make Loctite.
Purple is recommended for the size and thread of most stuff we use it on.
Blue can be a little much on fine threads, if so a little heat is your friend. A soldering iron is enough to make loctite let go. A sweet odor will tell you it's hot enough.
Oil or grease in the threads will reduce or eliminate it's effectiveness.
Have learned a lot about anerobic thread sealants working in manufacturing. We use a lot of it.

Keep it far away from your Glock, or anything else Polymer. It's hell on plastics esp. ABS. Not sure what all plastics it destroys but as a general rule loctite and plastic is a no go.

Fascinating product. The absence of air is what causes it to set or harden. I am a fan.

Yup, blue 242 Loctite is on all my scope bases and rings and none of them have needed tightening ever. Of course, need to degrease male and female portions of the connection. Have Loctite on rings and bases of a .223 Rem. 700, Marlin 1895 (45-70), Anschutz 1416, etc.

Back