Keeping mags loaded. Does it wear them out?

Oscar

OK, I might as well start out the new year with a stupid question. So here goes. Does keeping a magazine fully loaded for days/weeks/months wear out the springs over time? I have a Sig 226 with 2 factory hi cap mags and 2 10 round after markets (MecGar), and I was just wondering what the life of the mags is. If this wears on them, maybe I will preserve the hi caps and wear out the readily available aftermarkets. Any thoughts? Thanks.

We beat this one to death a couple times a year, I'm sure you can find the threads in detail with the SEARCH function, but to answer your question, the general consensus was that no, high quality (i.e. factory & OEM) mag springs don't wear out or take a 'set'. Certainly you should clean & inspect/function test regularly, and it doesn't hurt to rotate them, but they generally don't wear out. Guys have posted stories of finding 1911 mags that had been loaded since the 50's that worked fine. FWIW, mags springs are inexpensive, change them every few years if it worries you. Take care, M2

Yeah, what Mike said. Someone once said if a spring takes a "set", it ain't a spring. :)

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

Yes, any magazines you've kept loaded over one week should be forwarded to me, along with ammunition, for testing and disposal!

;)

------------------
Be mentally deliberate but muscularly fast. Aim for just above the belt buckle Wyatt Earp
"It is error alone that needs government support; truth can stand by itself." Tom Jefferson
If you have to shoot a man, shoot him in the guts, it may not kill him... sometimes they die slow, but it'll paralyze his brain and arm and the fight is all but over Wild Bill Hickok
Remember: When you attempt to rationalize two inconsistent positions, you risk drowning as your own sewage backs up.
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel! BigG

Back