Keeping Hogs From Deer Feeders

thallub

Lot of folks in Oklahoma and Texas run feeders to supplement the diet of whitetail deer. Deer feeders also attract hogs.

Few years ago a local guy showed me how to keep wild hogs away from deer feeders. It's really easy: Simply build a fence about 2 feet high out of cattle panel split lengthwise. The posts should be 4-5 feet apart. Six foot t-posts are cut making two posts. Fence should be 20-25 feet in diameter.

Yep, hogs are strong brutes. i've had them tear up traps many times and escape. But for some reason wild hogs will not cross that low fence.

Been building these fences for about three years now and never had a wild hog cross the fence.

This guy looked but never crossed. About three weeks ago i nailed him with a muzzleloader.

Shoot them

Works for a few hogs. This year i've shot well over 60 hogs, including little pigs. We have trapped a hundred or so more. Still about 100 hogs visit that place every 24 hours.

Works for a few hogs. This year i've shot well over 60 hogs, including little pigs. We have trapped a hundred or so more. Still about 100 hogs visit that place every 24 hours.

There are a lot of folks who will PAY YOU to come on your land and shoot these pests. Look at what the farmers in Argentina do with the dove issue.;)

Yeah, we tried that. Kept them out for a while then a big boat knocked it down. Then every fence we had like that was down. Hogs are smart, the biggest deterrent is a bullet.

Ill comr help ya shoot em! Unfortunately my Folks sold their place with enough room to shoot hogs so a trip to Texas is just boring.

If you shoot one regularly, and leave survivors, they'll stay away for a bit.
The problem is; baiting deer and trying to keep pigs away are two inverse tasks that sometimes aren't compatible.

Get them trap shy and sometimes that's all the pig control you need. They'll always return, but you can get some in between peace for a bit. Sometimes pig exterminators and deer hunters cover the same ground.

I know pigs love deer bait products, that can be quite problematic.

If you have a pig problem, you can solve it by removing what they seek, if you can't remove the reasons why they are there, then you can only hope for temporary deterrents

doofus47, deer easily jump over fences that are four feet high. I've even seen a large doe clear a six-foot fence. A two-foot high electrified panel fence would pretty much be un-noticed by a deer.

Some beekeepers in Florida use electric fences to keep bears away from the beehives.

Back