Katrina Gun Confiscations

Hey guys its been a little while since I've posted. I've been spending some time at the M1911 forums and Walther Forums.

Anyway my next purchase is going to be a cash FTF buy for obvious reasons.

My question is if a gun is registered to an owner and the owner sells the gun to another individual, are there any requirements on the seller to ever prove they sold the gun.

I ask this in reference to the Katrina Gun Confiscation in New Orleans. If they came to get my gun, and I have sold the gun to someone, do I have to show proof of the sale or will they just search my house?

I'm going to have to get more details on Katrina, but I don't recall if there was Marshall law in the city at the time, but I just can't believe that the police or Nat Guard could take your protection. It really boggles my mind.

I don't think legislation will ever pass that will disarm the US citizen of handguns and other none hunting firearms, but I could see confiscation occuring after a terror attack, God Forbid on both cases.

If Marshall law is enacted, will they come for the guns? Or not?

Anyway, does anybody have a Walther P99 for a FTF & Cash sale? :D I've decided that private transactions will be my method of acquisition whenever possible.

I as the seller of guns always makes a receipt for each gun I sell. I have the model and serial # on it. I also have the signature and DL of the buyer and seller.

I make 2 of these - one for me and one for the buyer.

I then keep the receipts of the guns I have sold in my safe deposit box. That way, if that new owner, or any subsequent owner of the gun does something, I have proof I sold it.

No you don't need, nor are you legally required to have, any kind of written proof that you sold a gun. I sold a rifle once that subsequently turned up in a river. I was contacted by the police, and I told them I had sold that gun, but had no idea when or to whom. They said "No problem, would you like to have it back?". Since I was the last documented owner, they said it was mine if I wanted it.

To those who collect personal information on sales, how do you know the info is accurate and you arent looking at a fake ID?

Why would I want to provide my name and address to an unknown gun seller who now knows I am a gun collector?

Did the Katrina gestapos have 4473s or did they just ask for all the guns and do a search?

My state (VA) now forbids gun confiscation in time of emergency but what if it's federal?

I think it, the confiscation, was a two pronged attack...

but not sure,

I think all they did was show up in force and tell you that if you had any guns you had to turn them over with the implication being that anyone caught with a weapon was then subject to arrest.

This is a natural reaction to those in power when they come in to re-take control...

Back