Katahdin Front sight screw

Does anyone know what screw is used for an TC Encore Katahdin front sight? It seems I am going to have to make a .100-.125 spacer to raise my sight up, but I am quite certain the current bolt won't reach at that point. I am going to have to find a longer one.

I checked with SW/TC, Williams, and EABco today and none of them have a sight tall enough. SW/TC is certain I don't have the factory sight as I have a fiber optic front sight, so that is not a peep sight. No joke. They also informed me that 150 to 200 yards was about as far as one could expect iron sights to work after I told them the low sights might be for shooting the 45-70 at longer ranges than the 150-200 yard max range I was looking at. I guess that is what happens when you buy a company and only keep 3% of the skilled workforce.

Williams said the rear sight is theirs, but they didn't make the front sight. I researched that and it seems to be true. None of their rear sights will go significantly lower. EABCO has the OEM sights, but SW isn't supplying them anymore, so they are down to one height. The height they have is .030 taller than what I have. Using Brownells calculator I need + .100" just to be on target with the rear sight adjusted to the lowest position.

Can someone remind me why I didn't just buy a Ruger #1?
I guess I'll be headed to the range with my muzzleloader next week.

Last edited:
Actually I think there was a miscommunication on the phone. Looking at their website they might have the .470, not .370 sights in stock. I was wondering why they would have a sight with such a small change in height.

Back