Kar98k crappy sights fix

Schavox

Inactive
I love Mausers but the sights on a Kar98k are probably the worst iron sights I've ever used on a rifle. Without ruining its collection value I went to find a fix that'll be better for my bad eyes. I came to the conclusion of getting a pair of Mojo Signts for the Kar98k nicknamed G98MCSS.

http://www.mojosights.com/sample-page/mausers/

My original plan was to just use the Mojo rear sight and keep the stock front sight. I'm a fan of peep sights where it's circular on the rear and not on the front. Sadly the Mojo Sights for the Kar98K are meant to be used as aperture sights which is two circles that you line up, which I do not enjoy. I contacted Mojo Sights and they said the stock front sight is just too short to work with the rear Mojo sight. To avoid having to use aperture sights, would it be possible to order one of those Brownells front sights that are taller on purpose and file it down to work with the Mojo rear sight?

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...er-91-dovetail-front-sight-blank-prod341.aspx

If this wouldn't work, are aperture sights really that bad? I just couldn't see how you'd use them accurately without a clear point to aim on the target.. I'd feel like you're guessing where the exact middle is. No way they'd be able to be used for longer range shooting right?

Picture to better explain

http://www.mojosights.com/new/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Snap-Sights-Pic2.jpg

Last edited:
Sure, you can order any front sight you want. But give the two apertures a try. Typical match rifle sights are set up that way. Your eye will naturally center the target. That said, it's hard to beat a front bead and a rear aperture. The sporterized (professionally done) Mauser I have used since I was a kid has that setup. Fast target acquisition. How is your front sight attached? Dovetail or brazed? Big difference in the ease of installation.

You must have never read my post. I own an M1 Garand and I love the sights on it, that's what I'm aiming at. Mojo Sights use two circles on both the rear and the front, which I dislike.
You are right...I missed it.

Sure, you can order any front sight you want. But give the two apertures a try. Typical match rifle sights are set up that way. Your eye will naturally center the target. That said, it's hard to beat a front bead and a rear aperture. The sporterized (professionally done) Mauser I have used since I was a kid has that setup. Fast target acquisition. How is your front sight attached? Dovetail or brazed? Big difference in the ease of installation.
Dovetail I believe, which is the way of which you can just punch it out to the side correct? I guess I'll hold out on the front bead and try it out with the front aperture. I'm just used to the rear aperture and front bead setup, but it'll cost me an extra 20 bucks to get a front bead that's long enough to work... then the time to actually file it down until it's correct. Just seems all in all a weird setup to me to have 2 apertures.

I like peep sight in general, that the aperture need to be close to my eye. Aperture far away from my eye, such as the mojo or the arisaka t99 sight, doesn't do it.

The circle in circle is for target shooting. The shooter can see through the front sight and align with the center of the target. It is too busy for quick target acquisition. I think the stock open sight is better than the mojo sight in that regard.

-TL

Back