Kamchatka

ligonierbill

Has anyone here hunted the Kamchatka Peninsula? It is said to be like a long ago Alaska by a few writers, but it's hard to tell what to believe.

About 10 years ago, an aquaintance of mine went to Russia for bear. He said it was like nothing he had ever seen. Rivers full of salmon, otters and mink, plenty of deer and pigs, and bears walking around like they owned the place. His story of the helicopter he was ferried out to the hunt area in sounded like a indigestion-induced nightmare (I flew in helicopters in the USMC), but he lived to laugh about it. He's gone now, but he always wanted to go back. I would go.

Between 2003 and 2007 I flew from Alaska to Petropavlosk (PK) and then on to Magadan 6 times a year for work. In those days Mavial was still in business from Anchorage to PK and there were always lots of US hunters during grizzly season and lots of fishermen during salmon/char season.

All luggage had to be inspected in PK so their luggage and guns were checked. I think their ammo was counted on the way in and on the way out as well. Talking to the guys it seems that most got their tags filled.

Mavial has since gone under so I'm not sure who covers that route now. After Mavial went TU we started to charter Kingairs from Nome to Anadyr and then on to Magadan.

Back