Kalifornia initiates anti-gun raffle legislation

Elker_43

Well Guys, here is another in the great march towards stripping us all of our 2nd Amendment rights. Being a long time member of the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, this legislation will completely shutdown all funding gathered at the banquets throughout Kalifornia which alone nets several million $$ per year towards conservation. Ducks Unlimited, NRA Banquets, local sports clubs, etc., etc. will all be affected.
If you don't think that your state is immune to these Kalifornia legislative moves, think again....IT IS COMING.

News Flash Today:

The following information was provided to us by the California Bowmen Hunters(CBH) this morning. It's time for all of us to take action instead of just griping to each other about the people in Sacramento taking away our rights. Do it today!

RE: AB1010 (Cardenas) - Raffles: firearms.
(the term firearms in Ca includes bows)
The following bill was just amended this week to make criminal the practice of raffling by chance or lot firearms and firearm components in California. Essentially, it will ban fundraising efforts by hunting organizations like the CBH/SAA,DU,MDF,CWA,WLFA,WTF & SCI throughout the state.
Obviously, this is a drastic measure that seeks to limit another scope and practice of law abiding hunting organizations and their membership. Since this bill is an amended 2-year bill, it will have the opportunity to be heard as soon as Monday, January 10 at 9 am in the Assembly Government Organization Committee.
We will need your members to flood both the Assemblyman's office and the office of the Assembly Government Organization Committee with opposition letters.
Essentially, you should keep you letter to one page, be concise and to the point without emotion and be respectful, but firm. Notice the bill number(AB 1010) and that you are writing to oppose the bill at the top of the letter in a subject line.
The addresses to send the letters are:
Assemblyman Tony Cardenas
State Capitol
Sacramento, CA 95814

Assembly Government Organization Committee
Assemblyman Herb Wesson, Chairman
1020 N Street
Sacramento, CA 95814

If you would prefer you may fax to 916-443-4694
Please fax or email a copy to the CBH/SAA Legislative Coordinator as we
will be attending the meeting and visiting the capitol on Friday Jan 7th
since AB 1010 will likely be heard on Monday January 10th
Fax Copy to 916-920-1462
Email copy to gsb@rcip.com

If you live in the area of one of the following assemblymen districts we would also like you to contact them independently and ask them to oppose AB 1010.
Assemblyman Abel Maldonado
District 33
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
(805) 549-3381

Assemblyman Mike Machado
District 17
Stockton, CA 95202
(209) 948-7479

Assemblyman Dennis Cardoza
District 26
Turlock District Office
Turlock, CA 95380
Phone: (209) 669-6115

Merced District Office
Merced, CA 95340
Phone: (209) 726-5465

To obtain a copy of the bill to go:
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/bilinfo. html
type in AB 1010 in the Bill area

------------------
To own firearms is to affirm that freedom and liberty are not gifts from the state.

Thanks DC....I am suprised that we haven't anymore posts on this! I guess everyone is hot on the telephone making those calls. If you are, thanks.

------------------
To own firearms is to affirm that freedom and liberty are not gifts from the state.

Don't worry...it'll pick up tonight when they get home from work.
If you check into past "activist" threads, it takes a day or so for it to get hot

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

Below is a letter I faxed this morning and I talked to my Assembly Member's staffer about yesterday. I left the whole gun thing out and went for the environmental angle. I also printed about fifty of these and will take them to the local gun shops and fire house. I of couse left the name and address for others to fill in.

____

January 8, 2000

Honorable Virginia Strom-Martin
Assembly Member, First District
State Capitol
PO Box 942849
Sacramento, CA 94249-0001
Phone: 916-319-2001
Fax: 916-319-2101

Dear Assembly Member Strom-Martin:

As someone who lives and votes in your district, I strongly encourage you not to support Assembly Bill 1010—a bill that will deny the lawful fundraising activities of numerous resource conservation groups. If you support this bill you will make it very difficult for groups like Ducks Unlimited to continue to restore wetlands in California.

In closing, I again urge you not to support AB 1010 and allow these conservation organizations to continue protecting the California environment. I appreciate your time and would like you to inform me of your AB1010 position.

Sincerely,

------------------
It is far better to dare mighty things, though riddled with failure, than to live in the dull grey of mediocrity.

[This message has been edited by Mendocino (edited January 08, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Mendocino (edited January 08, 2000).]

Mendocino,
Thanks for your post and your spreading the word. I too have dispursed this to all of those that I know and they in turn have done the same. We need more of this to happen, so I hope that others on this forum will make those phone calls and FAXs happen.

Being a volunteer and committee member of the RMEF, I called the Rocky mountain Elk Foundation (RMEF) headquarters in Montana on Thursday and spoke to the public affairs guy. He informed me that they were aware of it but they only found out about it on Thursday morning. He indicated that they had already moved to be represented in Sacramento and had gathered up a large amount of conservation statistics showing the $$$ and volunteer manhours that would be lost towards preserving habitat if this became law. From our conversation, they are pretty upset about it and will not let this happen without a fight. I believe the other conservation organizations such as Ducks Unlimited all feel the same way.

I am so sorry that our state has such socalistic individuals as legislators who would even try to pass this kind of crap! If this happens, what will the next piece of hardware that can't be raffled? Probably knives!

------------------

Since the favorite comparison object of the antis is cars, and cars kill far more than firearms, perhaps we could find a couple of friendlies in the CA legislature in Sacramento to append car raffles onto this mess. That way we get the churches and everyone else on our side but not necessarily for the same reasons.

------------------
Gun Control: The proposition that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own panty hose, is more acceptable than allowing that same woman to defend herself with a firearm.

I got 48 people to sign copies of the letter I posted above and faxed all 48 to my Assembly Member.

------------------
It is far better to dare mighty things, though riddled with failure, than to live in the dull grey of mediocrity.

Is there any way to break the state of Kalifornia loose from the mainland and let it drift out into the ocean never to be heard from again?

Such legislators should also outlaw the raffling of turkeys. After all, it could be their blood kin! :mad:

------------------
Either you believe in the Second Amendment or you don't.
Stick it to 'em! RKBA!

[This message has been edited by Dennis (edited January 08, 2000).]

Put a bee in the bonnet of George Putnam (KIEV Los Angeles), Michael Medved (KIEV), Duffy and Friends (KKLA). Hopefully They will take notice and bang the drum on this idiocy. Medved's producer has responded and thanked me for the info.

------------------
Gun Control: The proposition that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own panty hose, is more acceptable than allowing that same woman to defend herself with a firearm.

Let's hold a gun raffle to raise money to fight this anti-gun raffle initiative.

A little irony is good for the blood.

------------------
"In many ways we are treated quite like men." Erich Maria Remarque

Yeah!!!
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>

>Wildlife Legislative Fund of America
>
>
>FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Doug
>Jeanneret
>January 10, 2000
>614-888-4868 ext. 212
>
>Sportsmen's Coalition Stops Bill -Wildlife Big Winner
>
>A firestorm of protest from a coalition of sportsmen's groups has saved an
>important source of funding for California wildlife programs. It has also
>proved that, despite recent setbacks, when sportsmen pull together, they
can
>win anywhere.
>
>On Jan. 3, 2000, California Assembly Bill 1010 was introduced which would
>ban firearms give-a-ways as fundraisers. With a hearing and vote scheduled
>just one week later on Monday, January 10, 2000, the Wildlife Legislative
>Fund of America (WLFA) swung into action. The WLFA is a national advocacy
>group representing the nation's principal coalition of sportsmen and
>sportswomen in the struggle to defend hunters, anglers and trappers.
>
>The WLFA assembled some of the most well respected groups in California and
>nationally including the National Wild Turkey Federation (NWTF), Rocky
>Mountain Elk Foundation (RMEF) and Foundation For North American Wild Sheep
>(FNAWS). These groups were all represented and prepared to testify at
>Monday's hearing.
>
>However, after several days of constant constituent lobbying and when the
>committee saw the large contingent of sportsmen leaders, the sponsor of AB
>1010, Assemblyman Tony Cardenas (D-LA), pulled the bill.
>
>"Sportsmen have again overcame tremendous adversity to stop a bad bill in
>its tracks," said Bud Pidgeon, WLFA president. "In light of the
>extraordinarily short time we had to work, this was a huge victory for
>wildlife funding in California."
>
>The bill would have severely impacted the ability of conservation
>organizations to raise funds at banquets. Millions of dollars are raised
>from these banquets in California each year. The majority is funneled into
>wildlife habitat restoration programs.
>
>"I'm thoroughly convinced that the coalition's presence here was extremely
>important," said Rob Keck, chief executive officer of NWTF. "Our presence
>provided the California legislature a true showing of the strength of
>organized sportsmen in this state and across the country."
>
>Another coalition member echoed those sentiments.
>
>"Had the coalition not have attended the hearing, this bill could have
>spelled disaster for the California conservation movement," said Pat
>Gilligan, RMEF chairman. "This committee witnessed first-hand that
>sportsmen will move quickly and decisively to defend issues they believe
are
>vital to wildlife conservation.
>
>Other coalition members involved in stopping this bill include the Masters
>of Foxhounds Assoc., Mule Deer Foundation, North American Hunting Club and
>many other statewide and local conservation groups.
>--30--
>

[/quote]

jimpeel,

It's funny you mention the cars issue. I had a guy tell me the dribble about "we register cars in this country, why not guns. We need to stop all this sensless crime and killing...." I asked, has car registration stopped vechile crime, like drunk driving, hit and run, speeding, careless and reckless driving? Of course not. Cars are the number one killer in this country. What makes you think gun regristration will stop crime. Tell me one way. You know something, they can't. Dosen't change their mind, but it sure is fun to trip em up and watch em squrm.

Too bad the good people in California can't get it together and vote in some decent law makers. I know there are a lot of good folks out there. Everyone needs to join the state association and keep up with local happenings. I think I will send a check to the California association and join. They need the support, they are some of the good guys.

I'll pass this information on to a couple of my friends who live on the left coast.

Here is contact information for the California State Rifle and Pistol Association.

Mr. Clarence H. Williams, President
271 East Imperial Highway, Suite 620
Fullerton, California 92835
office: 714-992-CRPA

Mr. James H. Erdman, Executive Director
271 East Imperial Highway, Suite 620
Fullerton, California 92835
office: 714-992-CRPA
fax: 714-992-2996

[This message has been edited by Tom D (edited January 14, 2000).]

And a big thank you to all of you who sent Fax's and telephoned your legislators....I does prove that we can move when we need too.
THANKS AGAIN!

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shotgun:
Is there any way to break the state of Kalifornia loose from the mainland and let it drift out into the ocean never to be heard from again? [/quote]

Seriously...what do you think of Northern California seceeding from SoCal?

It'll never happen. Southern California needs Northern California's water. Personally, I think we should draw an east-west line about Cloverdale and split it.

Back