Kalifornia Handgun Registration

hkg3

I am a dual resident of Kalifornia and Arizona, however I ONLY purchase firearms in Arizona (big surprise). :rolleyes:

If I purchase a “CA legal” handgun in AZ, say an 80 series 1911, which is on CA’s “approved” list and bring that gun back into CA from AZ, and I choose NOT to register the new gun with the state of CA, what are the penalties for me if I get “caught” with that gun?

I’m not talking about something casual like a cop coming up to me at the range and asking me about the guns I’m shooting, I mean something serious like if I use it in a defensive situation, and a full background check is run on the gun’s serial number.

Somebody told me if a handgun is purchased outside of CA and then brought in to the state and NOT registered, and you get caught, you could be charged with a felony. :eek:

I find this somewhat hard to believe, even for the great state of Kalifornia, so I figured I would run this by any of you who may know. :confused:

There is no firearm registration requirement in California except for assault weapon owners and personal handgun importers.

Since you have dual residency (I presume), you might need to contact the California DOJ or Attorney General's office to determine if you'd be classified as a personal handgun importer.

My guess is that if your voter registration is in Arizona, you'll be considered a resident of that state. But California makes up it's own rules many times.

For CA laws, start here: http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/index.html

If you carry your firearm, even with a CCW, and it is not registered in CA, it can cause you problems.

If you use a firearm bought in Arizona for self-defense and it is not registered to you in California, authorities may seize the gun. As long as you can prove it is legally your firearm, however, you should be fine.

It is important to note that you may not bring into California any magazines capable of holding more than 10 rounds.

Unfortunately I spend more time in PRK than I spend in AZ. My voter registration is CA.

Thank you for the link.

Finding info on this is not easy, especially about any kind of penalty. I’m just going on hearsay at this point.

I know about the standard capacity magazine thing, NONE of the mags I have in CA are stamped “LEO only” or have any kind of recent date on them. My HK91 mags for example are all dated something like 9-63. LOL! :D

I think that should qualify as pre-ban. :D

I’m just trying to figure out if I should bother telling the state of Kalifornia pertinent and personal information about my firearms. And pay them a $20 tax for the privilege of submitting the unconstitutionally collected information. :mad:

I’m just trying to figure out if I should bother telling the state of Kalifornia pertinent and personal information about my firearms. And pay them a $20 tax for the privilege of submitting the unconstitutionally collected information.

Here's a novel idea. Why don't you cal Cali DOJ and ask them rather than come onto an internet forum and declare your intentions to break the law (or at least doing a risk analysis to figure out whether its "worth" it".)

If you get caught carrying a loaded handgun not registered to you in California, it is a felony, but if it is registered to you, the first offense is a misdemeanor.

If you are a resident of California and bring a handgun into the state then you are personal handgun importer and must register it. Failure to do so is a misdemeanor, with a maxim penalty of 1 year in County jail.

Note: Many county jails in California are currently way overcrowded. So if you have no history of criminal violence, the odds of fully serving the full sentence of such a conviction is thus doubtful.

Here below is a link to the relevant California law: Penal Code 12072:

http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/12072.html

Section (G) specifies the penalty.

Thanks for all the info and the links.

I especially appreciate the responses that don’t include sarcasm. :rolleyes:

I especially appreciate the responses that don’t include sarcasm.

Well you should because other than the plain stupidity of stating your intent to break the law on a forum in which it is now stored, there have been several incidents of Cali DOJ going after people based on what they posted on the internet, or simply their internet activities even though their actions were perfectly legal. Most ended up fine, and by fine I mean having to pay attorneys fees, having to wait months, filling out paperwork and paying to have their weapons returned.

hkg3:

My HK91 mags for example are all dated something like 9-63.

Don't get caught with an HK91 in CA. I got a PTR91 KFM4 for my birthday, and you bet your top dollar I left that puppy with my Dad in SC. Not worth the hassle for me. I'll be home soon enough.

Haydee Villegas, Office Manager
Trutanich-Michel, LLP
Attorneys at Law
Los Angeles Office
180 East Ocean Boulevard, Ste. 200
Long Beach, CA 90802
E-mail: hvillegas@tmllp.com
Phone: (562) 216-4468
Fax: (562)-216-4445

This is the only law firm I can find, of decent size, that handles firearms issues. Contact them.

Who knows? You could be the PRK's Heller.

copenhagen,
Thanks, I know. It sucks not being able to shoot the fun stuff very often. :(

Socrates,
Thank you for the info. :cool:

If you do end up in court with a paid defense hopefully the jury will understand they have the right to judge the law as well as the fact in controversy.

"An unconstitutional act is not law; it confers no rights; it imposes no duties; affords no protections; it creates no office; it is in legal contemplation, as inoperative as thought it had never been passed."

Unfortunately I spend more time in PRK than I spend in AZ. My voter registration is CA

If you can some how obtain a California CC permit, which is accepted in Arizona.....you would be in the clear for both states. (Arizona CC permit is NOT good in California)

Back