kahr vs. glock

imi

Inactive
I need some "personal opinions" regarding the MK9 and the G19. I have shot both quite extensively a few days ago. For me, however, I prefer the Kahr better for the following reasons: trigger pull, accuracy, pointability. I admit this is purely subjective as both pistols are excellent, but I need to hear other people's stories of comparison.

Size wise, the MK9 and the G19 are quite a bit different.

I prefer and own a Kahr K9. I have found the K9 to be a bit more concealable than the mini Glocks for me. I also prefer the way it fits and feels in my hand.

That said, I used a friends G19 to shoot the tightest groups I've ever shot with a handgun! I haven't been able to duplicate the small groups with the K9, but I am still able to shoot it pretty well.

imi,

You are talking about two guns of much different sizes. The MK9 is a true pocket gun, with two-fingered grip and capacity of 6+1. The Glock 19 is a mid-sized pistol allowing a full grip and carrying 15+1. If you are not planning concealed carry, then definitely go with the Glock 19. But if you are planning concealed carry, the MK9 will be much easier.

My personal experience: I carried a G19 for a while, but it required holstered carry, and could not be concealed in a pocket or Thunderwear. So I traded for a Kahr K9, and it is perfect. It allows a full grip, but I am sitting here with it stuffed down my jeans in a Thunderwear-type arrangement, and it doesn't even bother me. It is also nicer IWB than the G19 was, because it is about 2/10 inch slimmer.

ALSO, the trigger is so smooth and nice compared with the Glock trigger, that I am shooting much better. ALSO, it has a more conventional grip angle compared with the G19's radical angle. ALSO, it has a nice, soft rubber grip that feels better than the Glock grip, with the little cut-out thingy at the bottom to hurt my poor little pinky.

So, although the Glock 19, or especially the 26, are excellent guns, I have finally found my perfect do-everything gun in the Kahr K9 stainless.

Have I ranted enough here, or should I go on some more?!?

JP

------------------
Nehemiah 4:18 " ... and each of the builders wore his sword at his side as he worked."

I carry a Kahr K40 daily , I am going to trade it for a Glock G26 soon. The K40 feels like a brick , recoils like a donkey , LONG trigger pull.

The Glocks have a "half-inch" length trigger pull , the Kahrs have a full "one-inch" length trigger pull. The Glocks have a shorter trigger pull which translates into greater accuracy & they are lighter.

I was all set on getting the Glock 27. But after I saw the Kahr MK40 and really compared the two, I thought the Kahr would be a better CONCEALED carry gun. Therefore, I bought the Kahr.

I've gone the full circle with every size gun. Believe me, unless you live where you have to wear a lot of clothing (i.e. Alaska), you will have times were carrying a gun will pose a problem. I don't like .38 2" revolvers but I carried one many times because it was concealable when other guns were not. Many times the larger (but not by much) gun would just stay in the car.

Glocks are great guns and I love my mod 21 but when deciding on a CONCEALED carry, you sometimes have to make a compromise. But with the Kahr in .40 cal, I don't think I'm giving up anything. Remember, a carry gun is not intended to keep you going during a long firefight. It is mean't to get you out of a bad situation. If I go to a really bad area of town (many in the LA area) I would carry my Glock 21 with several mags.

A agree that the new 38 ti specials are great CC guns, not to mention the larger TI guns can also fit in your pocket.

I think the Kahr's are a bit heavy for pocket guns(uncomfortable), and prefer my sig p228 to a glock or a kahr.

I've fired plenty of glocks before, and though over all they seem to be decent guns, theres always been other guns I shoot better. I just dont care for them, so my personal choice wouldnt be the glock. I havent had the opportunity to shoot a Kahr, but I've briefly handled one. I was impressed by the way it pointed and felt in my hand. Like night and day when compared to the glock. I've heard pretty good things about them from friends, so I've officially added a SS Kahr in 40 cal to my ever growing list of guns I just NEED to own (also known as a "wish list"). I think it would be a great concealment gun with plenty of power. MHO,

------------------
"To die as a warrior means to have crossed swords and either won or lost without any consideration for winning or loosing. There is just not enough time and generally not enough strength in the resolve of any man to do otherwise"-Miyamoto Musashi

Just wait for the new Kahr MK40 in polymer. It should be out within 6 months and it will be the hottest pocket pistol going. It's larger brother weighs only 17 ounces.

acp in AL, where did you hear that the MK40
will be out in polymer? This would be great
if it's true. I'll wait to buy an MK40 if it
will be out in polymer next year. Thanks.
DAL

------------------
Reading "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal," by Ayn Rand, should be required of every politician and in every high school.

I am a proud owner of the Glock 19. It is compact, light weight, accurate and not to mention the 15-rd firepower. Nothing against the Kahr but it is a full steel pistol and weighs quite a bit more than the Glock.

Only the 9mm Kahr is available in a polymer version. I've heard nothing about a polymer .40 and even less about a polymer MK40.

acp in AL, what's your source for this info?

Funny...
my info shows a fully loaded MK9 (7 rnds) and a G26 (11 rnds) are practically the same weight. I love my MK9 because I can carry it anywhere undetected. Some aren't crazy about the Kahr's weight, but I'm not happy about my own weight...

Harry, I'm not so happy either with my weight(grin)! But in fairness to all great semis out there, I think I would take ARshooter's advice: Concealability...a compromise. Fellows, I have a G-23 and I like it, but for carry, I think I will switch to a much "leaner" design even if there's an increment in the weight aspect.

My turn to add to the confusion. I have both a Glock 23 and a Kahr K9 that I use as carry weapons. I like the G-23 when the weather gets cooler, since hiding a G-23 in shorts and a polo shirt is a challenge.

The K9 is great in the summer. It's nice and flat, so IWB is a breeze. I do notice the weight when it's carried OWB, especially with a thinner belt. But IWB, it's weight doesn't seem to be near as noticable. I don't like the rubber grips. They sometimes catch my covering garment. I've been meaning to replace them w/some hardwoods, but haven't got around to it yet. Heck it's only been 3 years now...

I like alternating the Glock and Kahr as carry guns. The mode of operation is the same, the manual of arms is the same and the trigger pulls are different, (7 lbs on the K9, 5 lbs on the Glock), they aren't that different that a trip to the range won't get you back into the "groove".

If you go with the Kahr, get one w/the electroless nickle finish. The blue finish is too soft. If you go with the Glock, get one w/night sights. The stock plastic sights suck. You can always replace the plastic ones w/night sights, but it's cheaper to just buy them already installed.

As to reliability, my G-23 has eaten about 7k rnds w/zero malfunctions. My kahr K9 has gone thru just under 3K w/zero malfunctions. I had a G-19 for about a year, it ate almost 1500 rnds w/zero malfunctions. Reliability shouldn't be an issue with either gun.

When it comes to choosing, I guess you just have to pick your poison. You can't really go wrong w/either.

------------------
Dan

Si vis pacem para bellum!

Check me out at:
<A HREF="http://www.mindspring.com/~susdan/interest.htm" TARGET=_blank>

www.mindspring.com/~susdan/interest.htm</A>
www.mindspring.com/~susdan/GlocksnGoodies.htm

Here's the reply I got from Kahr on the MK40 in polymer:

"No plans for a MK40 in the polymer frame right now."
Frank Harris
kahrhq@compuserve.com

It was a nice dream (I think) while it lasted.
DAL

------------------
Reading "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal," by Ayn Rand, should be required of every politician and in every high school.

BUy what you prefer. Screw what anybody else says. Both are great guns. Get them both!

------------------

The Seattle Shooter

Buy what you prefer. Screw what anybody else says. Both are great guns. Get them both!

------------------

The Seattle Shooter

Back