Kahr pistols

I have been reading a lot of praise of Kahr pistols lately. Not having any experience with them (I only handled one, didn't shoot it), I would appreciate an explanation of what makes them so popular. It seemed like it was well made, but I never got to even dry fire it. Being DAO, I would think the trigger was a little on the heavy side for one thing? Why are these guns becoming popular?

Can only speak for myself,

but part of it is simplicity and reliability. I have a K9 and really like it. Very well made pistol. Simple like a Glock - no external levers, controls to fumble with - and so far has been completely reliable.

Trigger pull is the same every time, and feels kind of like a DA revolver pull that has been lightened considerably. It carries well, even under light covering. All in all, I think it's a great pistol.

I might get one. I like the size of the MK9 (makes my Glock 26 look big). I just want a general idea of what to expect from a Kahr. Would I need trigger work to make the DAO trigger acceptable? How is the accuracy and reliability?

I have an MK 40. I like it because it is very well made and all Stainless Steel. They are small in size but pack a big punch.

Hard to find a gun a little over 5 inces long in a decent sized caliber. The 40 kicks like a mule but it is controllable. I have found it to be amazingly accurate for a gun this size. Also, I picked mine up for $399 new. They were closing them out here in Kalifornia because they did not have an external saftey and could not be sold after 1/1/2001. Trigger pull on mine is about 7lbs. Not bad at all for a DAO gun with no external safety.

The drawbacks might be that it is has a 5+1 (6+1 in 9mm) mag capacity. I figure if I can't get the job done in 6 shots, then I'm screwed anyway. It will also beat up the web of your hand a bit but you get used to it. I wear a thin leather glove when I'm at the range to compensate for this if I'm going to shoot more than 100 rounds.

Next to my BHP, I like my Kahr the best.

Hard to find a gun a little over 5 inces long in a decent sized caliber. The 40 kicks like a mule but it is controllable. I have found it to be amazingly accurate for a gun this size. Also, I picked mine up for $399 new. They were closing them out here in Kalifornia because they did not have an external saftey and could not be sold after 1/1/2001.

Some Kahrs have indeed passed CA's stupid "safety laws". Here is the CA DOJ website:

http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/certlist.htm

The drawbacks might be that it is has a 5+1 (6+1 in 9mm) mag capacity. I figure if I can't get the job done in 6 shots, then I'm screwed anyway. It will also beat up the web of your hand a bit but you get used to it. I wear a thin leather glove when I'm at the range to compensate for this if I'm going to shoot more than 100 rounds.

I will get the 9mm version. I don't like .40 recoil in the first place.

No one has mentioned this yet, but the gun is NOT DAO, it's striker-fired just like a Glock. However, the trigger pull "feels" like a lightened up DAO. My first time firing one of these beauties (I don't like DAO) I had 'em all in the 10-ring at 20 feet. I don't feel comfortable wearing a chambered Glock (unreasonable, I know), but the Kahr puts my mind at ease. I don't have one yet, but I'll be looking to get one within the year (I've got a couple other items ahead of it in line.)

GRW:

I had posted this previously, but my response seemed to disappear....

If you go to Kahr's web site, you'll see a number of decent articles about Kahrs. They have a lot of advantages, particularly for CCW. Kahrs are quite thin, making them easy to conceal. The single stack design also makes them great for people with short fingers -- I know a number of women who carry Kahrs for just that reason. They are reliable and accurate. The MK9, while a bit heavy, can fit in my jeans pocket with a pocket holster (in fact, it's there right now). Prints less than a J-frame.

I have a K9, K40, and MK9. There is very little recoil in the K9. A bit more in the MK9. And I find the K40 to be a bit unpleasant. The short sight radius of the MK9 makes it a bit harder to shoot accurately, but it will certainly do the job if you do yours. I can easily make head shots at 25 ft.

As others have noted, the gun is striker-fired, rather than DAO. Like the Glock, it doesn't have restrike capability (an issue to some folks, but I actually prefer guns without restrike -- but that's another religious war). Glocks have short trigger strokes, but that awful crunchy, creepy, sproing when you finally trip the striker. In contrast, the Kahr has a longer trigger stroke, but it is quite smooth. Think of it as the best double-action revolver trigger you've ever had. It's not heavy. About 6-7 lbs or so. Quite nice, actually. I haven't had any trigger work done on mine. But do get one of the Elite models. The Elite models have a shorter trigger stroke (about 1/4" shorter, IIRC). One downside of the Kahrs longer trigger stroke is that follow up shots are a little slower. Glocks can be shot very quickly, if you can ever get used to the Glock trigger (I've tried, but I can't...).

The MK9 comes with two magazines. One magazine is flush with the floor and gives you 6+1 rounds. The other magazine extends beyond the floor and gives you 7+1 rounds. With the short magazine, you can't fit your pinky onto the grip, so I wrap mine under the floorplate of the magazine. I've found that I'm equally accurate either with the short magazine or the extended magazine.

While I've usually been carrying an M1911 of some variety these days, I think Kahrs are great guns, particularly for CCW.

M1911

GRW,

I look at the CA DOJ website every day to see what has been added. I noticed that the Kahr started appearing on the list a month or so ago. Now there are a bunch of them. I have not seen any of these in stores yet. Kahr would have had to make some modifications to get them approved by the commies at the CA Atty General's office.

I think you will be very pleased with the MK 9. I don't know if the recoil is significanlty less on the 9 as I have never shot one. They are a tad bit lighter. All in all, they are neat little guns. Kahr has some review articles posted on their website for most of thier models that you may find interesting.

While it is true that the Kahr is striker fired with no second strike capability, Kahr Arms itself uses the term "Trigger cocking DAO" in their specs on the gun. So while not a true double action, DAO describes it well enough.

If you get one, I would be interested to hear your observations, particularly in ragard to recoil.

Russ

I have the P9.

The first time I fired it it did bother my hand because of the checkering. Now I don`t even notice it. The recoil isn`t bad even with the light frame. The gun is a little slide heavy but not a big deal. If Kahr puts out an MP9, I`ll probably buy it also.

Kahr P9

Compared to the Glock 26 and the KelTec P11 (small 9mm semi-autos) the Kahr P9 feels "crisper" or "more focused".

(Some might say the P11 should not be in this comparison because of its god-awful (am I allowed to say that?) trigger. I was going to get rid of it, but then I started to get a handle on it. So I kept it. BTW, the P11 fits into the Fist Ultra Thin Kydex holsters that were made for the P9).

The P9 is very accurate. Meaning that without me apparently trying any harder the shots were more on target than with the 26 or P11.

If I carried, it would probably be the P9 because it is thinner than the other guns and so takes up less room in your pants.

I've has mine for 5 months with no problems.

Frank

MK9

Does anyone have anything bad to say about Kahrs?

I have an MK9 and love it. I prefer it over the G26.

It is so thin, but a bit heavy, absolutely reliable. 6+1 in any .9mm load.

I can easily be carried in Docker pants in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster.

James Bond would carry one over a PPK in a heartbeat.

Well, I shoot my MK9 more accurately than my G17,30,26,27 or 20.
I don't know why, but I do. It is a fabulous little gun and it fits in my pocket better than anything I have owned in a caliber larger than 380.
I find the recoil minimal and the fit and function superb.
Heck, I sound like I sell them, but I don't, I just love em.

Mikey

KA

I have two P9's one purchased before 1/1/2001 and one purchased one month ago after they were put on KA "not unsafe" list. I cannot tell any difference between them. There is no external safety on the new one, and I can't see a difference even when they are stripped for cleaning. Only difference I can tell is the model number (pre 1/1/01 KP9093, post 1/1/01 KP9093A) I had to get the new one for when I renew my CCW. Sheriff is requiring that any guns on the CCW be on "the list". The model numbers must match exactly.
Obviously I love it or I wouldn't have bought a second one. Accurate, great trigger, and very concealable.

Steve

Kahr thoughts

I only have the K9, a really nice E-nickle from the factory version, but would like to have an MK. Here is an opinion or two, mostly already stated but I really like the gun....
SUBJECTIVE: For some reason, this gun "feels" remarkably good in my hand and points as instinctively as any I've shot/handled. I actually like the weight, not noticeable in a good carry rig, but great when shooting fast. Trigger is a bit long (may invest in Elite conversion) but smoother and MUCH better than a Glock's. Remember, Glock guys, this is just my opinion. The appearance gets an "A."
OBJECTIVE: Thin cross section of slide makes it concealable. Workmanship is very good, smooth lines are smooth, curves even, no big tool marks. No major factory recalls, no odd problems to expect or plan for (K and MK, I can't say the same for the P series, I gather) and a good reliability record. Haven't actually measured the groups, but they keep going into very small holes off the bench when I was sighting it, smaller than some bigger guns.
I bleed S&W blue, but the Kahr is my favorite small belt gun.

I really like my K9 stainless. My only complaint is that the only parts that are stainless are the slide and frame. All other parts are plated.
It's accurate, totally reliable, and just "feels" right. Many people find the Browning High Power has a good feel, and the Kahr feels like a small Browning. I've talked to people who've attended various shooting schools, and have been told that long after shooters of the other mini guns are tired out, Kahr owners are still banging away.
I've tried a number of small defense guns over the years, and the Kahr is the one I will carry.
I'm impressed with the quality manufacture, not a burr to be found, inside or out. I've modified mine as follows: beveled magazine well, stippled front strap and lower side of the tang, light polish of working parts. To be honest, the only reason I did even that, was because I have the gunsmithing skills. The Kahr is about the only gun I've ever seen that needs nothing, being about perfect right out of the box.
Plus Kahr is constantly doing product improvement, instead of sitting on their hands like most other companies.
All told, in my opinion, just about the perfect small defense gun right out of the box. I'd rate it an "A" in all departments. (And I rarely give this kind of rating to
ANY gun).

I have a K-9 and like it. It is slim and compact.

Accuracy from mine is not equal to other autos I have experience with. From the bench the best it will do is a bit under 4" for average five shot groups at 25 yds. Several types of ammo were tested but the search wasn't exhaustive.

I disagree with the poster that mentioned the trigger was better than a good DA revolver. Slowfire DA precision work is easier for me with even a J frame S&W than the Kahr. I have often wondered if slimming and rounding the trigger face would help in this regard.

So in general the Kahr isn't as gratifying a range gun as some others because precision shooting is harder, but it is an excellent compromise. Fast hits on paper plate sized targets at 25 yds are easy, and this thing was built for self defense not recreation. It amuses me when people comment on how heavy a K-9 is. It's pretty light compared to a steel 1911!

Back