Kahr P9, Speer Gold Dot +P 124gr

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
Went to the range today...oh, my! One of the mags for my M1 carbine stopped working half-way through, not sure it can be repaired.

Tried +P Gold Dots in Beretta 92, G26, it worked fine. In P9 I had several failures where the round would nose down in the mag and lock the gun open. Not fast to clear, requires removal of the magazine.

I went back to using S&B 115 JHPs which work fine. The reason I even posted this is TEST YOUR GUN WITH YOUR COMBAT AMMO. Good ammo, good gun...but not compatible. Same deal with Glock 17 and 147gr Golden Sabres -- they'd feed but are too long to be ejected unfired.

This is why I favor cheap conventional ammo (Gold Dots were $11/50, S&B JHP $8/50) so long as it has little muzzle flash and the bullets are of decent design -- I can afford to test-fire with every magazine at least. In case of Magsafes, Glasers, RBCD ammo, the cost of test-firing 50 rounds is prohibitive for most people. That is, in part, an argument for using revolvers but those can have issues of their own, not the least that few people shoot DA revolvers well.

I frequently use Hydroshock 124gr +P+ in my P7. Workes wery well. Another "hot" ammo that has been very good to my guns is Golden Saber 115gr +P+. (all 9mm).
There is a shop in MA, which cells this type of ammo for very reasonable price. http://www.fsguns.com

Some guns don't like +P stuff, the slide cycles too fast to strip the new round from a magazine, so its always good idea to try first, then carry.

Oktagon is right about +Ps cycling some slides quickly, and the smaller/lighter the gun the more likely you are to have the problem. I suggest you try some standard pressure Gold Dot 124s in it, see if it makes a difference. If it still misfeeds, but other loads work fine, it may the the Gold Dot bullet shape.

Back