Kahr P9 good choice for wife?

Hogballs

Would the Kahr P9 be a good choice for my wife?

I could get her a K9, but I want a P9 and this way I can take it away from her after we've had it a few months.

Seriously tho, I would probably carry either gun once in awhile and I think the P9 would be better for CC.

Hog

Probably, but make sure she shoots one first. My wife dislikes mine (which I originally "bought for her") because with the relatively high bore axis and light weight it has too much muzzle flip for her. The slim grip profile is good for those with smaller hands, and I don't find the recoil to be much for such a light pistol. I put a set of overgrips on mine to thicken it up some for my hands, and it carries really well. You'll want to round off the edges on the slide release some, and I wish the trigger guard was taller (my finger drags too much), but it's a tight shooter and utterly reliable.

The P9 is an outstanding choice. It has one of the lowest
bore axis to grip distance of any gun. It has very little
extra recoil or muzzle flip compared to the K9. It has a superb trigger that smooths out after a couple hundred rounds are fired. The trigger is so slick that the gun needs to be carried in a rigid holster that covers the trigger guard. I think a P9 combined with a Kel-tec P32 provides for all concealed carry needs.

Absolutely!

My wife's gun, which she absolutely LOVES and wouldn't turn loose of for anything, is a Kahr MK9. I bought myself a P9 because the MK was too short for me, and she likes the P9 as well.
But then, her daddy had her shooting since 14, CCW'ing since she was 19 (Alabama) so recoil and muzzle flip don't bother her at all. I don't see that there's that much anyway, but then, recoil is a VERY subjective thing.

Both are GREAT for smaller hands. It's the first pistol I go ta' recommending when people start looking for a small carry piece. With the P9, you can't even tell you're wearing it at all.

The grip is indeed slim, so I put a Hogue on mine too. It started grabbing my shirt when I tried to present, so I took it off and threw it in the closet.

Good luck!

I wanted to buy my wife a Kahr P9 because of all of the positive comments on this site, inlcuding weight, size, and power of the 9mm cartridge. When one came in, she tried it and didn't like the slim grip. Most importantly, she wasn't able to work the slide very well, and decided to stay with her revolver. It just seems easier to operate, check if loaded, etc etc for her. She dosen't practice very much, so that probably made a difference too though.

Try to get her to actually fire one before yo buy if you can. (Unless of course, you really want it for yourself in any case.)

Try to get her to actually fire one before yo buy if you can. (Unless of course, you really want it for yourself in any case.)

Hehe, I DO... :)

Hog

Just tell the wife that Kahr sells them in pairs only. ;-) I went to the range today and I think I fired the tightest group at 25' in my life with my P9. I have started carrying it around in my Alessi ankle holster full time.

Matter of fact, one of the range guys gave me $5 off my bill if I let him fire it. Geez, it's even started generating money! This gun does it all!

Back