Kahr MKP9 ???

1911Ford

Well maybe this is what it would be called. Has anyone heard if Kahr would be coming out with a Polymer version of the MK9? I am getting close to buying my first and probbably only 9mm. I want it for "deep concealment" purposes. Right now I am leaning toward the MK9 or a Kel-Tech, I think it is called the P-11. (geez forgot already) If I was not concerned about the reliability of the Kel-Tech then it would be my first choice because it is even smaller and easily lighter than the Kahr. It also has a greater capacity. Anyway before I buy I was just wanting to check with some of you Kahr fans to see if you had heard any rumors.

Thanks

Well I just read the March issue of Gun Test and may have jsut been scared completely off of the Kel-Tech P11.
They did a test on compact 9mm's for under $400. The only one that they gave a "buy" recommendation to was the Taurus PT-111. Since the Taueus is even wider than the Glock. 1.3 vs. 1.18. Looks like now I am down to the Glock 26 or the Kahr MK9. Wish that darn MK9 didnt weight so much!!

MK9&GLOCK

I have both MK9 and Glock 26.Both guns are nice guns good concealment.Very reliable.The MK9 is better made.They both need costume parts.Glock 26 needs extended slide stop lever,extended mag. catch, extended slide lock,may be a 3.5lb trigger.
HK9 recoil spring is too havy hard to pull the slide back to chamber a round from a full mag.Call Kahr for a lady spring it`s free or Wolff 18.5lb spring,Kahr sad it`s OK.
The front grip needs chekering or stippeling.

I just got a Kahr P-9 last weekend, haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. It is very svelt, all of .9" thick, and 15 oz light (unloaded), with a sweet trigger. I looked (briefly) at the Kel-tec, and there just isn't any comparison (bearing in mind that the Kahr is almot twice as expensive, you do get what you pay for, IMO). M2

Can anyone guess what gun I carry? :D I strongly recommend the MK9 over the Kel Tec -- the Kahr is built solid, and weighs enough to prove it. :)

In a good holster, you won't even notice the weight, but I understand your concern. If they make a polymer framed mini, I'm first in line (though I'll have to update my username...).

As jbalazs mentions, the recoil spring is very stiff compared to other handguns, but that's because the pistol is designed with +p loads specifically in mind. Right handed shooters often need to have the slide release beveled, but since I'm a lefty I've never noticed a problem.

Kahr Arms first came out with the K9. Then (IIRC) the K40, followed by the MK9 and MK40. The P9 was released last year. They've just announced the P40. MP9 by Labor Day? Dare to dream...

Can anyone tell me how to take out the slide back on MK9?

jbalazs,

Do you mean the gray polymer piece? I'm no armorer, but I recommend you leave it alone. The striker assembly underneath that piece is under substantial tension, and there's plenty of room for uh-ohs.

You don't need to remove it to clean the pistol, so why do you want to in the first place?

I have owned the Taurus P111, the Kahr P9 and the Kel Tec P11. The only one I didn't have problems with is the Kel Tec. It has proved to be the most reliable,lightest and the easiest to field strip. I tend to trust the threads on this forum more than I do the gun rags and I don't understand why Gun Tests magazine gave the Kel-Tec a bad rap. I have only put a few boxes through my Kel-Tec, maybe it will fall apart in the future but I doubt it.

1911Ford, I spoke with Justin moon a year ago about an MP9 and due to the work that was going into the Auto Ordnance acquisition the MP9 would not be worked on for at least 18 months. Maybe for SHOT 2002? It looks encouraging since the P40 is now out and being shipped, the first new gun from Kahr since the P9. As far as your weight concern goes I wouldn't worry about it too much, compare the loaded weight of an MK9 and G26 and you will find very little difference.

Thanks, Now that I know that a polymer version of the MK9 is even being considered I will wait a while and see if one comes out in the next year or so. I have lots of other guns I can buy in the meantime. :)

Scott,Macdougall and assoc. are customizing the P9, and reducing the grip by cutting it off to the MK9 magazine length. Simple way to do it is to buy the MK9 mag, and slowly cut off the bottom of the P9 grip until it locks in place and bevel the well and use some high grit sandpaper to rough up the edges. This will void your warantee, but damn, you will have a light carry gun. I plan to do it when I get one. The write up on the gun is in the new Custom Handguns annual, I believe. Enjoy, DC

I emailed Kahr about this, and they said they were aware of the market for an MP 9, but were still working on the P 40.
I imagine an MP 9 is next.

As far as my Glock 26, I read up above that it needs "costume parts." I guess I'll get it a wig and a pair of knickers.

Back