Kahr MK9

MellowMikey

I just got this beauty. :D Anything I should know about it before I make it my true love??? Do Kahrs show any particular ammo preference???
Oh, BTW I got it used for $429 with nightsights, my smithy was selling it, because he got a new carry gun. :D

Mikey

Mikey,

Kahr recommends running 200 rounds thru it
to break it in. I assume your dealer already
did this since he was using it as a carry gun.

I've put about 500 assorted rounds through mine
with no problems. Neat little gun. After the
Browning HiPower, it's my favorite 9mm. I think
you'll enjoy it.

Joe

You should love it. I picked up an MK 40 about a year ago.The 40 really tears up the brass during the ejection process so reloading is probably not a good idea. I don't know if the 9 does the same thing. I e-mailed Kahr Arms about this and they told me this was normal on the 40.

Anyway, I really like the gun. Great shooter and for it's size, amaizingly accurate.

Yep, the MK9 tears up brass bad too.

I'd like to share my MK9 experience with you, since it's put together the same as the MK40. Maybe my experience can benefit help you .40 cal gentlemen.

One specific thing I would recommend watching every time you take the gun apart. The little "C" shaped spring that pushes the slide stop down, AKA the slide stop spring: When you reassemble the gun after field stripping for cleaning, make darn sure the spring is on the frame side of the beveled screw that holds it in place. When you look at it, you'll see what I mean. This does not apply the the "full" size models, as they use a different spring setup.

Mine was improperly reassembled, (or who knows - maybe it just jumped over the beveled screw?) and the spring got on the slide side of the screw, rubbed the slide, and wore right through the spring. Fortunately, no damage to the gun, and all it did was lock the slide back prematurely for my friend, but never did it for me.

After seeing this particular parts breakage, this appears to me to be the weakest link for the otherwise over engineered all to heck little Kahr masterpiece.

Keep a watch on the slide closing too, my MK9's recoil spring got a little weak, and wouldn't close the slide all the way into battery if the slide wasn't dropped hard from the full rear position (even when empty), OR when loading the first round from a magazine. Fortunately it didn't blow anything up when I didn't notice and fired it with the slide about 1/16" or so to the rear. I replaced the recoil spring ($12 - big deal!) and the problem went away. I didn't want to send the gun to Kahr, but they did offer to fix both problems for free, AND offered to send a pick up tag so I wouldn't have to pay shipping to them.

In their defence, my MK9 digests +P+ ammo, so this may have caused the recoil spring to get weak, but it did not actually fail. Same for the slide stop spring, even wihe it broke into 2 pieces, the gun never stopped working (for me), and a malfunction was cleared by a simple FTF drill.

My advice would be summed up as:

Watch the reassembly for that little spring, and keep an eye on slide closure when (or if) you don't let the slide slam shut hard.

I use Rig +P stainless steel grease on the slide rails on mine, not because of the cool sounding "+P" name, but cause it is formulated for stainless steel and prevents galling.

I'm sure you'll grow as fond of your MK9 as I am of the mine.

Hope this helps. :)

For you MK40 owners, how does the little Kahr like Cor Bon 135 gr ammo, if you have tried this load. Does the recoil become too severe and/or overpowering? How about muzzle blast?

[Edited by user110011 on 05-01-2001 at 07:54 AM]

Thanks for the info on the slide stop spring. I will check mine out. I haven't shot any Cor Bon in my 40 yet but when I do, I will let you know how it works.

Back