Kahr MK9

Runner

I am looking for a small 9mm hangun for use as a CCW. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on the Kahr MK9?

Well, as my user name might indicate... I'm a fan. Mine has been reliable with ball ammo (still breaking it in, so no tests with hollowpoints yet). Easy to shoot for such a small pistol. A tad on the heavy side for carry in the pocket, but it could work with a good holster/sturdy pants.

As was suggested above -- do a search, there's pretty frequent discussion of this gun. Let me know if I can answer any other questions for you. Like many gun owners, I like to evangalize/rationalize my purchase decisions to others. :)

Excellent pistol. I carry mine as much or more than just about any gun I own (except my 342 for the office). If you buy used watch out for guns serial numbered GA0001-GA1000. They had some problems initially and had most of them worked out by number 700, but stay above 1000 in the GA series and you will do fine.

Never leave home without it. I love mine. Concealable, dependable, and accurate. Very smooth DA. Alghough, some people think it's too heavy, I think the weight makes it easier to handle.

The only problem that I have with the MK-9 is that right now, even as I type this I am looking at a scar left on the thumb knuckle of my shooting hand left by my friends MK-9. This is the ONLY reason why I own the Glock 26, and not the Kahr. It is a very fine pistol, only for me the ergonomics SUCK!!! I understand that I am not the only one to be bitten by this litle devil either. I would recommend shooting it before you buy it. ;)

OK sounds like the KelTec P11 is out. Although the MK9 has a common complaint of being too heavy. Any word on a MP9 being offered anytime soon? I wonder if polymer would have problems with recoil? Anyway, I just looked at the Taurus P111B (Millennium) does anyone have any thoughts / experience with it to compare to the MK9?

Well...

...I fired a couple of mags through an MK9 on my last range trip. I had one double feed, but in all fairness the owner expressed surprise and stated that was a first with that gun. I've had a fair amount of range time with K9's, K40's, and MK40's and they've all been reliable, with uniformly sweet trigger pulls. Their only downside to me is their capacity disadvantage when compared to the relatively chunkier mini-Glocks and their amazingly bricklike weight for their size.

Do a search on the Taurus Millennium line. You'll find that there's a fair share of problems with these pistols.

OK, I'm back from my search and read of "Taurus Millennium". I think I can cross it off my list. Sounds like it is closer to a Glock 26 in width anyway. So that leaves the options of a Kahr MK9 or a KelTec P11. I am going to go with the MK9 unless someone can convince me otherwise. I sure wish Kahr would offer a MP9 :D

I've talked to Kahr because I was right where you are, I wanted a lighter MK9. They don't seem to have much interest currently in making a "PK9" , they want to see how well the P9 does first. Oh well, I can't really understand why they didn't make the MK9 first.

Why don't you look at a P9? The muzzle is less than in inch longer than the mk9, and there is a company out there that will reduce the grip length to that of a mk9 if you want: http://colt380.com/smk9.htm

Let us know what you get!

TC

I own a Keltec P11 and would recommend it. Advantages - very light and easy to carry in a front pocket - completely reliable(no stoppages) with all ammo fired thus far(about 500 rounds)including Corbon 115 grain. Disadvantage - very long trigger pull.

I'm very happy with my P11. I considered the Kahr, and while it just seems better built, the price and weight turned me away. I might still get a Kahr in the future, but the P11 will stay as my carry gun.

Love my MK40. Does everything just right, and I think the weight helps keep the recoil OK. I carry a lot, and feel used to the weight. Theres a nice new MK9 with night sights in TFL right now. Gary

Back