Kahr MK40

• Thread starter Thread starter ASG
  • Start date Start date
A

ASG

I purchased a Kahr MK40 (.40 S&W) a few months ago. Yesterday was the first chance I had to take it to the range. Prior to firing, I cleaned and oiled the pistol. I had 25 rounds of Federal 180 Gr. Hydra-Shok and 25 rounds of Sellier & Bellot 180 Gr. FMJ. I started with the S&B ammo. On the third round, I had a misfire and tried to eject a live round by racking the slide back. I found that the round would not eject out of the gun. Instead, the round would be extracted back, and once it hit the ejector, it would turn up to the right as if it were going out the port, but it would get caught on the side of the barrel/barrel hood area. The only way to get the round out, was by jiggling the slide and allowing the round to fall down the magazine well. The problem was evident when I tried to eject a live round of the Hydra-Shok as well. On firing though, the gun had no problem ejecting empty cases; it only happens with live rounds (of the two I tested). I know that Kahrs need at least 200 rounds to be broken in, and I only put 50. Do you think that it just needs a little more breaking in or do I have a more serious problem?

ASG, the difference is in the length of the round vs. the empty case. Some pistols, by design, are more difficult to eject a loaded round with. This has to do with the length of the ejector and the dimensions of the port. My 1911 for example won't eject a loaded round either due to the long nose ejector I use. The misfires are something else again. I'd return the gun to the manufacturer and have that addressed. George

Back