Kahr MK40 vs. G27

X-KILL

It seems to be the general opinion that the Kahr or the Glock 27 is the ideal choice for a smaller concealed carry pistol in .40 S&W.
As I am in the near future market for such a pistol I need your feedback.

I lean to the Glock because of past experience (quite good to be exact) with a G17. I have no experience though with the current generation of Glocks rolling off the line. I have never held nor fired a Kahr so experience is based only on opinions found herein.

Which would you choose and why? Note: I am interested only in this basic size in a .40

Thanks

hi x-kill,
i think you can't go wrong with either choice. the g27 wins out in weight, trigger reset speed & capacity (9 or 10 + 1). the k40 has to be handled to really appreciate its pluses. the trigger is very smooth (be sure you get the elite 98 trigger which has a shorter reset) and the whole gun is slimmer. i felt that the kahr "carried" better because it was slimmer. if you want to go deep concealment, the mk40 might be worth a look-see. i feel that it would "carry" the best among all three guns.

it's a tough call. i don't think i'd feel undergunned with either platform, but the glock has some definite advantages, not the least of which is the fact that your backup mag can be a glock 22 hicap with a grams base pad for 20 rounds in one stick. i'm not a big proponent of the necessity of hi-capacity, but for those of you who are, the glock will tickle you pink.

best,
joe

------------------
www.skdtac.com
tactical accessories for self-defense and le

Tough call, I agree.

I've owned a 27 and shot the 40 Kahr.

Either works. I think the Kahr is a touch
easier with the old IWB holster.

Have you shot a Kahr - that's a good thing
to do before buying one ?

I was in the market for a mod 27 when the salesman showed me the MK40. It was everything I was looking for in a very concealable .40 cal gun. IMO, the mod 27 is bulky compared to the Kahr. I went home and immediately checked the internet for opinions of the Kahr. I found not one person who had anything bad to say about this gun. In fact, everyone raved about it's acuracy, workmanship and flawless operation with whatever ammo it is given. The only negative I heard about this gun is the weight. But when you actually weigh the two guns when loaded, the Kahr is only 1 oz. heavier (but you only have 6 rounds instead of 10 (11?).

I bought the gun the next day...paid $459.
Loaded up the breakin ammo last night and will shoot it on 12-30. Will let you know the results.

X-Kill,
I carry a G27 with Meprolite tritium night
sights and Pearce magazine grip extension.
It is perfect for CCW. The Kahr is a good
weapon but it has a LONG trigger pull and is
considerably heavier than the G27. If you
have had good experience with a G17 then you
should consider the G27. You should have 100% confidence in your CCW. My Glock 27
gives me that confidence.

Hey Tom C:

We thinks alike.

I use the Meprolite sights on my USP40C and just got finished looking at a Pearce mag grip extension about 30 minutes ago.

The Pearce ext. looks pretty solid. Does it shift around on the mag and is it pretty stable when slipped on?

Also, do you have any complaints or have you found any annoying quirks with the G27? Where by the way is Culleoka TN? I'm over in the extreme NW corner of the state.

[This message has been edited by X-KILL (edited December 27, 1999).]

I've had a G19 for several years (the 22/23 weren't out yet) and think it's a great gun. I wanted something smaller for summer CCW, and that led me to get an MK40 for my Xmas present. It's a lot thinner than the Glock, and therefore much more concealable.

I've only cycled about 75 rounds through it, but so far flawless, great handling. Shoots a little low and to the left, but that's probably more me than the gun.

X-Kill,
Pearce Grip extensions are good products. I
have not had any trouble with mine. They
are a must to avoid a two finger grip hold.
I'm about one hour south of Nashville.

ARshooter, where did you find a Kahr MK40 for only $459? Was it new or used? If it was new, you got a good deal. The dealer in my area wants a bit over $600.

Please let me know the name of the place you bought it from. I'm all for supporting my local gun shop up to a point, but $150 is way over my loyalty limit.
DAL

------------------
Reading "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal," by Ayn Rand, should be required of every politician and in every high school.

DAL - you must have missed my post a few weeks back. I sez...
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Dave - over six bills for an MK40? Yikes! Try Tom and Joe's at 303/231-0998. He's a great guy, and just quoted me $475 for a standard (no night sights, not the Elite) MK40.[/quote]
Seriously, $600 is highway robbery. Give 'em a ring.

The KAHR is NOT considerably heavier than the GLOCK!!!!!! Weigh the two side by side fully loaded and you will see the (very small) difference. Anyone who complains about the KAHR being heavy is ignoring the facts. Who could complain about one or two ounces in a carry gun, especially when that gun is smaller?
[Link to invalid post]

Shake

I guess I did miss your post. I'll check them out next month. Thanks, Morgan!
DAL

------------------
Reading "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal," by Ayn Rand, should be required of every politician and in every high school.

Guys, you need to check with Bachman Pawn and Gun in Dallas for the MK40. I think they had them for $399-$409. I bought a K40 Covert from Dr. David Avery in McKinney for $389 NIB.

I called Bachmangun yesterday and purchased MK40 (not Elite 98) for $452.00. Wanted an Elite version though, but they don't have it and don't even know where to get it.

Emin

I to was debating the Glock vs Kahr before christmas. The Kahr fit my hand Sooo much better that I bought the K40. I,m very happy with the accuracy and feel of the gun. I recently had my G17 lockwork updated for free-Thank you to a very friendly Glock gunsmith and I took it to the range to make sure it went bang with the new internals. Guess what- the Kahr is more accurate than the Glock 17.

The $459 price for the Kahr MK40 was at B&B Sales in Westminster, CA This place is also known as Bumble Bee Wholesale in Shotgun news. FYI--this is the company that loaned the AR-15's to LAPD during the No. Hollywood bank robbery shootout.

This price was a sale price and the regular price was $549 (in the store).

The trigger pull was a bit too long but it functioned great. Absolutely no malfunctions. Trigger is very smooth.

Back