Kahr K9

Status
Not open for further replies.
The K-9 is an excellent and solid little gun. I feel that the price is a bit high for the number of rounds you get. Keep it in the 9mm though. One more round and more pleasant to shoot. What's the gun going to be used for?

Ben

My K9 has become my primary carry gun. It is 100% reliable and very concealable.

Some folks think it weighs a bit too much, though I haven't noticed it being so. I guess I was just used to carrying a 34 oz. (much heavier fully loaded) Colt Officers Model. The Kahr feels very light in comparison. It does weigh a little bit more than some other compact nines but it shoots so sweet, it's worth every ounce!

As far as cost goes, the new ones can be expensive. I bought my nickel plated K9 in "like new" condition for $370.00. Good deals can be found if you look hard enough.

I love my K9. It has eclipsed my Glock 23 as my prefered carry gun. Some complain aboutthe wieght, I say it helps with controlling recoil with hot loads.

My only complaint is that the blue finish is no too durable.

Overall, an outstanding weapon!

------------------
Dan

Si vis pacem para bellum!

Check me out at:
<A HREF="http://www.mindspring.com/~susdan/interest.htm" TARGET=_blank>

www.mindspring.com/~susdan/interest.htm</A>
www.mindspring.com/~susdan/GlocksnGoodies.htm

I have a K40. Very flat , too heavy , trigger pull too long almost a full inch travel. Buy a K9 or P9 with a shorter more accurate ELITE trigger. The K40 recoil is really annoying. Kahr told me two months plus $100.00 I could have an elite trigger put in. Screw that , I will just trade it in for a K9 or P9 with an "elite trigger". Don't forget the Kahr "MK series". When are the P9's going to be available EXACTLY??

http://www.arizonagunrunners.com/Products/Kahr/kahr.html

http://www.kahr.com

kp9093.gif

------------------
I got a short temper so watch it!

Thanks guys for all the replys. Ben, the K9 would be used for concealed carry. I really like the width of the slide and the heft of the K9. My hand is a little big for this pistol but I think I could get use to it. All comments so far have been positive.

Shortfuse, I'm really interested in the P9. I hope it comes with the shorter trigger and hope the recoil isn't too harsh given the lighter weight. I'm not interested in the Forty. Sold my Glock 23 due to the harsh recoil. Anyway, I'm looking forward to reading about the P9. Thanks again to everyone. JohnH

Shorfuse, I've also heard & read positive things about the MK series. The problem I have with the MK is the shorter barrel. I really don't want to go with a barrel shorter than 3 1/2 inches. The +p 115 grn. loads still achieve good velocities and energy levels out of the K9 & G26. Also, the Mk series are truly pocket pistol size but they're just to heavy to be carried in a pocket, or so I've heard. They (Kahr) say the P9 will be out some time in October.

Dan, if your still folllowing this thread, could you tell me how your K9 compares to your G23/19 in regards to recoil, shootability ect. Thanks again everyone. JohnH

I carry an MK9 in my front pocket. The cheap Uncle Mikes holster does just fine. Weight is not a problem.

John,

I have found that the K9 is distictly different in shootability in comparison to the G-23.

My K9 has the long trigger pull which is definitely different than the Glocks short trigger "reset". Makes double taps more challenging. This can be overcome by regular trigger time with the K9.

Recoil and shot to shot recovery is a dream with the K9. Seems that the light recoil of the 9mm combined with the relatively heavy weight (25 oz) of the K9 make it a somewhat soft shooter, even with NATO spec loads (124gr @ 1200 fps).

I also think the K9 is more comfortable in my hands than the Glock. I would consider my hands to be medium sized for the average adult male.

Pointability is better than the Glock, for me at least. The Kahrs don't have that extreme grip angle that the Glocks do.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

------------------
Dan

Check me out at:

I've got an MK-40, and love it. My wife (small hands, somewhat recoil sensitive) had to shoot it for the first time in a class, as her SIG P230 was jamming. She quickly adjusted to the long (but smooth!) trigger pull and was doing fine. Recoil was not a problem, probably due to the excellent ergonomics and weight of the gun.

Another friend of mine with pudgy hands had some slide bite with it, but everyone who's ever shot it loved it.

Dan,

Thanks for the reply. I've handled a couple of Kahr K's but have never shot one. Glad to hear it soaks up the recoil. I'm not recoil sensitve but I found fast follow-up shots with my G23 difficult with the heavier bullet weights.

I really like this pistol, especially the slim slide and smooth revolver-like trigger pull. The only problem is my trigger finger doesn't index correctly on the trigger. I've got large hands but certainly not huge ones. Hopefully a trigger shoe could be installed or something to fill-out the grip. Maybe I just need to get familiar with it.

Looking at the specs. on this pistol I noticed it's a little shorter than the Glock 26 yet has a slightly longer barrel. The main attraction for me is it's concealable. Truly well designed. Thanks again all, JohnH

I carry a Kahr K40. I didn't notice much difference in recoil compared to the K9, but that's just me. GREAT GUN! GREAT GUN! GREAT GUN! I can't say that enough. There is probably something wrong with being so in love with a small piece of steel. I think my girlfriend is jealous. ;)

I liked my Glock26, but this Kahr points more naturally and the rubber grips are more comfortable. Consequently, I shoot much better with it.

And, although the Kahr's grip is .5" longer than the glock, it conceals better on me. Using a Blade-Tech IWB holster with both guns, the short-but-fat grip of the Glock stuck out from my body and printed easier than the Kahr, which suprised me. The Kahr is very slim and stays tucked closer to my body than the Glock, even with the longer grip. The weight is a pain though, being approx 7oz. heavier than the Glock. But, that's something I'm willing to live with. I have yet to hear anything negative about a Kahr, other than the weight issue.

DWM

Has anyone put alot of rounds through either the K9 or MK9? I am thinking of one of these two models and wondering if they are of the carry alot but shoot very little type. How about the P9, any info yet, other than the Kahr website? Thanks

ddesalvo,

I've put between 2500 to 3000 rnds through my K9 with no signs of wear. No slide peening, no loosening of slide to frame fit.

The Kahrs are CNC milled steel. They are definitely guns made for shooting.

------------------
Dan

Check me out at:

On the durability issue, I was speaking to a man about the Kahrs at a gunshow and telling him how much I like my K9. He told me he has an MK 9 that he has put 16 to 18,000 rds through and has had no malfunctions. Mine only has around 16 hundred through it but is completely reliable.

I've put over 5000 rounds through my K9 Elite98 and have never had a malfunction. I've tried various loads including standard pressure 115gr FMJ to hot +P hollowpoints. I pracice with this pistol at least twice a month. It is my primary carry weapon, and she still looks brand spankin' new. My Kahr pistols are probably the finest most dependable guns I've ever owned. Buy one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back