Kahr K9 - Premature slide lock.

Hello, all.

I had a nice range day to test function, accuracy, and different CCW ammo on Saturday with my EDC HKP30L and Glock 19 as well as my Kriss Vector 9mm (amazing) and last but not least...My deepest of concealments, Kahr K9.

Everything about it was fine. Trigger is fine, sights are fine, all is well and I have no complaints. Other than the magazine locking back on a half full magazine.

Not much else to say. Wasn't riding the slide stop or anything either.

My question is, is this one of those famous Kahr "break-ins" or should I give them a call? Anyone have this issue before?

Is it a new gun or used. Your problem might not be the same as mine, but my Kahr K40 was locking back regularly in the middle of a magazine. I knew that it was not operator error, so I started looking at the slide lock itself.
On the K series it is a two piece affair. The slide lock pin is peened into the slide release lever. Mine had worked loose so that the pin was able to rotate in the lever. Since the locking spring on the pin also works as the spring for the slide lock in the K series, the lever was able to jump up and catch the slide on recoil.
I ordered a new slide lock/lock pin assemble for 20.00 and problem solved. My K40 is super reliable now.

I did call them and talk to them about it, and they weren't all that helpful, but I decided to order the lever anyways seeing that I could see that it was faulty.

HVR, I really appreciate the fast and thorough response!

It might just be that. That's my best lead so far. Where did you purchase that slide lock at?

I bought it second hand from a Kahr collector. (Not even kidding)

I ordered it from Kahr arms. You might be able to tell if this is the problem simply by wiggling the slide lock lever. It it is tight, there will be no movement. But if it has wiggle space, then it might be the same problem.

The retaining spring for the locking pin is on the opposite side (right side) as it goes into a grove in the pin at an angle. This does two things. It helps to lock the pin into place, and also prevents rotation of the pin, as there is a groove in the pin at an angle. This angle is what keeps the slide lock lever on the other side (left side) down.

The newer c and p models have a slide lock spring on the left side, so they are totally different.

Did you get the stainless or the black model?
They are so thin. I ground down some wood panels, so now my K40 is as thin as a P40.

Here's the part and ordering info:
attachment.php

https://shopkahrfirearmsgroup.com/pistol-parts/kahr-028k9e-slide-stop-028k9s.asp

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-04 at 8.55.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-04 at 8.55.50 AM.png
    118.8 KB · Views: 469
Ah, perfect. I'll check it out when I get home. It shoots nice. I'm not as accurate as I'd like to be with it, but I'm the same way with most small guns anyway. Just gotta practice with it more.

Thanks for the insight.

It's an "NYPD trigger" stainless steel model.

Nice! Haven't found any wood grips for mine. I want to make sure it can eat 250-500 rounds before I can trust it for CCW. It's only job is deep concealment so it barely gets carried unless I absolutely have to. Once it proves reliability, I'll probably even use it as a back up.

Really appreciate the help.

[Edit] - Just saw the photo and link! You're the man! Thank you. :)

I had the same problem with a CW40. It made two (or was it three) trips back to Kahr without the problem being solved. Sent it down the road with full disclosure to the new owner.

I later bought a K40 that functioned flawlessly.

Bullet nose bump?
Look for copper trace on slide stop.
Look at bullet vs slide stop with barrel and slide off, slide stop back in.

I've owned a MK9 a K9, PM9, but it wasn't until I bought a PM45 that I discovered the infamous 4,000 round Kahr break-n period.

Well, the slide lock itself is sturdy and apparently not the issue.

I have 3 magazines for it. But only tried out two.

Guess I'll give them a call.

Unless someone wants to trade me a J-Frame for it?

kahr quality control sucks! I had one just like that. I shot it over 300 rounds going two or three between premature jams. I polished the slide stop to the point it would function but wouldn't lock back. I called car and they said it wasn't warranted because I touched it. So I ordered a new slide lock. That mostly fixed it but also the chamber needed a polishing to make it work reliably. Take a 9mm case, drill the primer pocket and using a bolt and nut placed from the inside of the case make a burnishing tool for the chamber. Coat it with some mild abrasive like valve grinding compound or red rough. Run it in and out spinning on a drill until the cases don't stick. Clean it and try it again. Mine is now 100% but it was an infuriating job working out the kinks kahr should have at the factory. I don't think they test fire the guns leaving the factory more than 1 shot. A normal load and fire operation would have detected our guns problems before they left the factory. rc

customer service from Kahr is pretty lousy. my experiences were always with a guy named Ian or something like that. he had a British? accent.

I have a Kahr CW380 and have to say I love this fine little pistol. I knew before I purchased the gun, that they have a great build quality with tight tolerances. I expected that of course it would need a good break in. I had no problem with that. Yes, I had premature lock back at the beginning. No problem, just simply polished the extractor and shot it more and more. The gun runs flawlessly now. I spent a little time with the gun, had some patience and reaped the rewards.
I once called CS to just ask a question about the extractor and the rep was very nice and said, Listen, if you would like to send in the gun, that is what we are here for. Use the warranty. Asked if I would like to have it sent in now. I thanked him but declined and told him, I am just fine. Just wanted to ask a few questions.

I hope others reading some of the negative comments about a Kahr from internet posters do not keep you from buying one. They are top shelf guns and well built. Not some of the cheap aluminum crap that is so popular. Those guns will run ok at the beginning, but fold like cheap lawn chairs when they get into a round count starting at around 1500 rds.
The Kahr is built to last a life time.

Back