Kahr E9? Economy model. How good is it compared to K9?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Correia

This is related to an earlier thread where I asked for opinions on good but affordable guns for ccw. I can get one of these for a little over $300. Haven't seen it yet though. Only pictures.

Is it comparable to the regular Kahrs? which, by the way, I am very impressed by. The only difference according to their web page, is in its external features, and finish. Is Matte black chrome moly very corrosion resistent?

Hello, Correia, and congratulations, sir! Now to business: First, I have never seen or handled the economy Kahr, but am told that the only difference is the finish. The less expensive gun has some sort of matte finish, which might be preferable to the blue on mine, which was a bit thin. That said, I highly regard the Kahr series of handguns. My Kahr standard K9 pistol has been reliable with anything after the first couple of hundred rounds, has a light,smooth double action and is accurate. The sights are dialed in properly at the factory such that, for me, poa = poi! My ONLY complaint with this little gem is that it's heavy and I've grown lazy. Therefore, I'll be closely watching for their announced polymer frame that dues around 2000. Sir, for the money, you'd be getting one fine handgun! That said, you'd never go wrong with an S&W J-Frame for concealed carry as it would always be with you. I much prefer the airweight M442 should you decide to go with the revolver. The Kahr can handle more potent rounds and has a few more rounds on tap than the J Frame. Best.

The E9 is, essentially, the K9 lacking a few of the K9 features. Mr. Camp already noted the difference in finish. The K9 has a better looking finish (better wearing?). If you were to compare the two side by side you would notice two other differences: the front sight on the K9 is dovetailed into the slide while the E9's front sight is pinned in. This could be a consideration if you plan on installing night sights. The other difference is some machine work on the frame and slide (cosmetic only). The E9 is also shipped with only one magazine. If you plan on buying another magazine right away you will spend anywhere from $25-35 for one. In my area the difference in price between the K9 and the E9 is around $80. Figure in the cost of an extra magazine for the E9 and you end up with a difference of about $50. I e-mailed KAHR regarding the differences and they said that the K9 is function tested to 10,000 rounds while the E9 is tested to 5,000. I think the E9 is a good value. I bought one before I did my homework and haven't fired the thing yet. I am holding onto it until I see the new polymer P9. Hope it comes out soon! They are fine guns. Shake

Kahrs are Great pistolas. I have a Kahr K40 (nickel) that is about to get traded for a Glock G26. If you get a Kahr get the "Elite" versions with the shorter trigger pulls. Mine is also too heavy for practical purposes & kicks like a mule. Full one inch trigger pulls reduce accuracy like a Keltec P11 would. I know you are looking for an ECONOMICAL price. The E9 does not allow for aftermarket sights. You really should have night sights. Go outside at night , point your pistola at a tree , you will not be able to see your front or rear sights meaning you will miss your target. Some gun stores have financing. Put down a down-payment , take home pistol 1st day , make monthly payments.
Even the j-frames are way over priced. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back