kabooms,blowouts,and the owners manual

eger precision

I have noticed quite a few topics lately that involve pictures,descriptions,opinions,I have heard,he said she said,and so on regarding guns kabooming and blowing out.

The designers and engineers of these guns are not dummies, and if we would take the time to read the owners manual that comes with each gun,we would see an entire section devoted to ammo.

If we would read and follow these instructions I seriously doubt that kb's would be an issue,but we dont do that do we?

No,we Americans like to RELOAD AND ROLL OUR OWN!.

Clearly,we are far more enlightened than the engineers at the gun companies and ammo companies. If the maker says "do not use plus p or plus p plus ammo"---whats the first thing we do? Why of course, we immidiately see how hot and fast we can geek up a load! If the company says, "do not use lead bullets or reloaded ammunition", whats the first thing we do? You get the idea.

Being in the pistolsmithing biz and seeing this stuff everyday, I can assure you that the makers of reloading equipment and components help us get work as much as anything else.

Our selection of quality pistols today is really impressive. Lots of great designs,something for everybody. But when you stuff them with ammo that is reloaded,not to factory specs,dog eared cases,and everything else, you are not doing your mags,extractors,ejectors, firing pins, and other parts any good at all.

So,what I am saying, is please use quality factory ammunition in you guns.

Quality means Federal,Remington,and Winchester. Please try to avoid the import stuff. The savings in money is really not worth it.

And it is a whole lot cheaper than a trip to the emergency room.

Have fun and be safe!

If I followed the Glock owner's manual to the letter, I would not carry with a round in the chamber.

Some rules in the owner's manual are important. Some aren't. Problem is that you can't tell which is which simply by reading the manual.

People in these forums get kind of abusive with people who shoot reloads out of Glocks -- calling them stupid, for example. I've never seen anyone taken to task for carrying with a round chambered (unless they weren't using a holster).

I still like my little Glock. I'm just real glad I took the time to do some extra research before buying and shooting it.

Eger Precision Writes:

Clearly,we are far more enlightened than the engineers at the gun companies and ammo companies. If the maker says "do not use plus p or plus p plus ammo"---whats the first thing we do? Why of course, we immidiately see how hot and fast we can geek up a load! If the company says, "do not use lead bullets or reloaded ammunition", whats the first thing we do? You get the idea.

Now, if your "geek it up", deliberately exceeding safe loads, you are a friggin' idiot.

The part about reloaded ammunition, though, shows his lack of experience. I can't remember the last owners manual I saw that said you could use reloads. That (with the possible exception of Glocks) is put there soley for liability reasons.

If you stick to safe-n-sane loads listed in recognized reloading manauls, and follow good quality control practices and procedures you will not have any problems.

Many, many people pursue the enjoyable pastime of reloading, and his blanket condemnation of it is uncalled for.

The savings in money is really not worth it.

Another example of his lack of experience. The savings can range from moderate to amazing.

Get your facts right, please.

Tim W.

Some automatic pistol designs will tolerate lead bullets very well. others wil not. If you want to shoot lead bullets reloads, don't shoot a Glock.

Do you work for an ammunition manufacturer or a reseller of factory ammunition?

If I couldn't reload, I couldn't shoot NEARLY as much as I do now. The difference in a box of ammunition is about $10, and I shoot a box a day, or at least five a week.

I don't know what whether that kind of money is worth it to you, but it sure is to me.

Casey

A Pistolsmith? saying DON'T RELOAD????

DID you also know that the owner's manuals say NO AFTERMARKET PARTS (and all work has to be done by factory authorized persons)????!!!!

As an armourer, I can say that proper reloading does NOT cause damage to a weapon. The only blow-up I ever had was with FACTORY (FEDERAL) AMMUNITION!!!!! I reload to save money and insure best quality......I also have about 5K tied up in my equipment. As to poor cases, I've seen people shoot corroded factory ammo. Stupid is stupid, no matter what. By the way, goofy, how many factory training programs do YOU have under your belt?

As a manufacturer of really really expensive ammo I ALWAYS try to convince my regular customers to learn for themselves the unbelievable savings that handloading can bring.

But I have witnessed way too often way too much handloaded ammo that is OBVIOUSLY UNSAFE.

So please, if you load your own, at least go to the trouble of understanding what you're doing.
Plenty of help available, and absolutely NO STUPID QUESTIONS. All questions related to $hit that can blow up are GOOD questions.

And wear some safety glasses when you're doing it.

(I shot lead in my Glock......)

OK I guess I'm to stupid to figure this out since I am neither an engineer nor a "real" gunsmith. Please tell me how a downloaded 38SPL reload (so my daughter can be comfortable with it) is going to hurt my pre sell-out S&W 642 more than the +P FBI loads that the gun is rated for?

Geeze, you would have thought I insulted Ronald Reagan or something.

Goofy? Oh well, been called worse.

And no I dont work for an ammo manufacturer and I have a happy client base including le in the area.

My point was to try to adress an issue that I havent seen talked about a lot,which is what the makers of the guns reccomend.

Colt manual--"use only clean,dry original high quality commercially manufactured ammunition in good condition"

Ruger--they throw in a disclaimer in regards to re-manufactued or hand loaded ammo

Smith&Wesson---"use only commercially manufactured ammunition"

The above are straight from the owners manuals.

I know a lot of the gang here are real enthusiasts, and have more experience than the novice. I still think the topic is worthwhile for those not so into the entire spectrum.

The observation is also based on lots of years of reloading myself.

In my opinion,guns work better with quality factory ammo.

To each his own.

re:eger precision it appears to me that on this forum when a subject gets posted the replys start drifting compleatly away from the topic and it does not take alot to get attacked by the gun pros,there are many who seems to know more than the manufacturer good luck

Sometimes, we DO know more than the manufacturers. We aren't in it for a profit. In my capacity as an armourer, I have in the past given evaluations to manufacturers, and made recommendations as to product improvement. Part of the job.

I'm not advocating 'handloading for dummies'. I do STRONGLY disagree with the notion that factory ammunition is perfect and all handloads are bad. With good equipment and good training (the new NRA handloading program is excellent---get the textbook from Midway), handloading can be safe and rewarding. It can help you understand your weapon better. Remember, the same guys who push their handloads are the guys who shoot commercial ruger loads in trapdoor springfields, +P+ 9mm in hi-points, and 45Super in unmodified 1911s.

Making a blanket statement that handloading is bad, and intimating that handloaders are stupid, is not a way to make friends and influence people. It's like walking up to the biggest Hell's Angel you can find, and kicking over his bike. Handloaders are generally the shooters who have gone the extra step, who are the most experienced and most responsible. Yes there are exceptions, but we're speaking in generalities here.

If goofy is so serious about the owner's manual and safety, he will close his shop until he is certified by the factory in every weapon he works on, before he installs another aftermarket part, or makes any more modifications, like a throat job or an action job.

I've got to reload if I want to shoot anything but my Buckmark.

UMC 38 special at Big W runs close to 10 bucks a box..

Got rid of my 25-5, soon to get another 45 colt revolver; I
don't think I've seen a box of 50 rounds (in my neck of the
woods) for under 17 bucks...

I haven't been reloading long, maybe 3-4 years, but I know
that " all my reloaded ammo is quality ammo"

I'm as careful as can be (probably go too slow) and have never exceeded maximum loads for data I've used..

Nothing wrong with reloading, if you're careful......course
I'm no expert either :)

Mike M.

OK--

Been thinking about this a while after reading the replies.

I was wrong to insinuate that nobody should ever re load under any circumstances. After reading the replies and looking at the original post it occured to me that that probably was not the way to try to get across what I wanted to.

Certainly, you guys that have re loaded for years and are responsible with your loading and use the ammo you load yourselves have every right to do so and I am sure that your ammo is as good as anything.

I should have made it more clear that I was refering to the average guy,or the occasional shooter that is really not familiar with loading.

Also,I do think it is not a good practice to buy reloads at gun shows from sources you dont know.

And yeah,it is fun to re load and come up with a load that really works well in your gun. The old Swenson load of 4.2g of Bullseye behind a 230g lrn bullet in a 45 auto is always what we used.

Part of it was me still being ticked at the time about powder burns I have on my cheek from firing a guys 9mm Commander last week with reloads. One of the cases separated at the rear end and the powder stung a little. So I ask him where he got the re loads, and he says he didnt know.

One thing about me,I will always be the first to correct a mis statement, or mis information.

One thing I will insist though,wear your safety glasses when shooting. Sure am glad I had them on when that case blew.

Hummmm---now you got me thinking---Square Deal B again? Anybody tried the Lock and Load, or the new RCBS progressive?

Id like to advise,

Thanks,

OK--

Been thinking about this a while after reading the replies.

I was wrong to insinuate that nobody should ever re load under any circumstances. After reading the replies and looking at the original post it occured to me that that probably was not the way to try to get across what I wanted to.

Certainly, you guys that have re loaded for years and are responsible with your loading and use the ammo you load yourselves have every right to do so and I am sure that your ammo is as good as anything.

I should have made it more clear that I was refering to the average guy,or the occasional shooter that is really not familiar with loading.

Also,I do think it is not a good practice to buy reloads at gun shows from sources you dont know.

And yeah,it is fun to re load and come up with a load that really works well in your gun. The old Swenson load of 4.2g of Bullseye behind a 230g lrn bullet in a 45 auto is always what we used.

Part of it was me still being ticked at the time about powder burns I have on my cheek from firing a guys 9mm Commander last week with reloads. One of the cases separated at the rear end and the powder stung a little. So I ask him where he got the re loads, and he says he didnt know.

One thing about me,I will always be the first to correct a mis statement, or mis information.

One thing I will insist though,wear your safety glasses when shooting. Sure am glad I had them on when that case blew.

Hummmm---now you got me thinking---Square Deal B again? Anybody tried the Lock and Load, or the new RCBS progressive?

Thanks,

Glad you came to your senses.

I was wrong to insinuate that nobody should ever re load under any circumstances.

Thanks for being man enough to admit it, thats not easy.

Damn straight.

Thats by far the best advise you've given in this thread.

Tim W.

Good thinking! Not that I was about to put my Dillon 550 and SDB up for sale any time soon based on the original posting. Then again, some guns, even commercially made, HAVE TO use handloads...

View

Back