K98 front sight

jmtbiggin

Took my k98 deer hunting last week. My shots have always been 100 yards or less. A strong 6 o'clock hold on target produced humane harvests. Last week at about 80 yards I missed badly. Good for deer,no sign of a hit. So off to the range. 100 yard bullseye. I put the bullseye right the top post. 3 rounds. Target reveals about 6 inches high,which was expected. Problem was the newly found 4 inches left. So I ping the front blade dove tail lightly right......My hole front sight, band, base, and blade rotate.A good bit of slop. I grab sight . Can jiggle by hand from the 12 o'clock position to 1130. Can also go to about 1230. No more hunting until fixed.
1) How does one tighten the front sight band?
2) Might as well try to find a 100 yard front sight blade,recommendations?

Put the band where you want it. Heat it with a propane torch until you can see the solder flowing. Let it cool there. Originally there was a screw under the blade, but it has either backed out or sheared. The solder will hold it if you remelt it.

Bill Jacobs

Suggest you have an assistant run the torch. Gun should be on beanbags and sight sighted with vertical object. The vertical object (can be string on washer) will tell you how much to turn the sight so it is vertical.

Back