k98? 24/47? Russian Capture?

of the rent

Inactive
Greetings All-

I have a straight bolt Mauser with what seems to be a 24/47 stock (no bent bolt cutout with understock sling swivels). Bolt and receiver have matching serial #s and left side of receiver has "STANDARD-MODELL" etched on it. What is interesting though is that it has a code stamp on the magazine (WaA623 346) in three places, which I believe is a WW2 Steyr-Daimler Manufacturing code. There are no other Nazi or German Military markings on the rifle. Any K98 experts, what do i have here?

Thanks

Pics of receiver and markings as requested

In addition to the markings in the photos, the letters B and G are faintly stamped just ahead of the serial (or part?) number on the left side of the receiver and seem to be again faintly stamped on the stem of the bolt handle. Again- any help in identification is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• DSCF5027.jpg
    DSCF5027.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCF5028.jpg
    DSCF5028.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCF5031.jpg
    DSCF5031.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 73
Is it possibly a commercial M98 sporting rifle, or a rifle that was intended as a civilian rifle but put into military service? The Mauser crest and "Standard Modell" designation seem like a civilian marking (military M1898 rifles were marked "Gewehr 98 Standard Modell"). It is marked for the S bore (.323"), something that would not seem necessary with a military rifle, since all military M98s were rebarreled for the S bore by 1905, while civilian rifles continued using both the I bore and the S bore. It has a straight bolt because that was the standard rifle (Standard Modell) configuration, as opposed to a carbine with the bent bolt handle.

Russian capture rifles usually have the WaffenAmpt marks defaced, yours are very clear. Russian capture rifles usually have a brushed-on coat of spar varnish, yours looks like a very nice finish.

The Standard Modell was the Mauser commercial military rifle, made to compete on the world market with the Vz-24 and FN Model 1924. (1924 was a BIG year for re-arming, world wide.) It is not a sporting rifle; they were made for commercial sales to other nations for mililtary use. While marked "Standard Modell 1924", it is unlikely that any were actually made that early. More likely the "1924" date was added to better compete with the other Model 1924's.

Some Standard Modells were purchased by the German government and Nazi party groups, but it was NEVER the standard German military rifle. Its general design and size inspired the K.98k, which was the official German military rifle of WWII. The Mauser banner is normal, as are the commercial proof marks and the lack of date. No K.98k was ever marked "Standard Modell" or, for that matter, "K.98k"; the only marking on the left side of a K.98k is "Mod. 98."

The Standard Modell is often called a K.98k in advertising to mislead buyers into thinking they are getting the more historical rifle. The main differences, aside from markings, are the straight bolt handle and the pin and spring used on the bands instead of the long single spring used in the K.98k.

Quality of the Standard Modell is excellent; all were made prior to WWII, and they are fully as good as the competing rifles from Czechoslovakia and Belgium.

Jim

Last edited:
My question is in regard to the waffenamts- from what I have read this was a wartime german military marking. If that is so, were all rifles manufactured during this time (both commercial and military) marked with this stamp? Additionally, from what i have seen this particular code (WaA623) indicates a manufacture date of no earlier than 1939 by Steyr-Daimler. Were non-K98s put into service during this time?

Thanks again for the feedback

Back