K.O. Slugs # 4 ( I think...)

Al Thompson

Staff Alumnus
Hi all,

Dave McC and numerous others (me too) have had good experiances with these.

Dicks is now selling them for $1.49 per 5 round box.

Giz

Gee, should I pick up another 50? Already have not much shy of 150 here, probably a lifetime supply.

For those that missed it, these KOs are effective, and work fine in two of my 870s. In both, they duplicate or exceed the best accuracy of any other slugs I've tried.

This doesn't mean they may be the best slug for your shotgun, just that they're worth trying,and at that price, a cheap gamble.

Brenneke KOs in My Gun

Tried out five boxes of KOs through my 870 w/20" cantilever scoped barrel with Modified choke tube (which has yielded great results w/Fed Tactical buck).

As per my usual routine, fired four rounds prone, loaded from stumpy sidesaddle.

At 50 yards, consistent cloverleafs (all rounds touching). Very good.

At 75 yards, groups opened up to 4-6", and about half the rounds showed signs of slight keyholing (most likely from the attached wad -- I'll assume it stays on for the whole trip).

At 100 yards, groups went to around 8-11", with all rounds doing the keyhole thing.

(Oh, and regular German Brennekes ALL keyholed at 100 yards, a real disappointment for stuff that costs 80 cents a bang!)

Normally, Fed and Winchester Foster-type slugs run about 5" at 100 yards from this gun. Which may be particular to Fosters thanks to the Mod tube . . . so what have y'all gotten with the KOs?

The chokeless HD 870 shot three into less than 2 1/2" at 50 yards. The Deer 870 with a rifled tube was tighter, a touch over 2".

Slugs destabilize easily as velocity drops. I'm surprised to hear about keyholing at 75,though.

For hunting,at least for me,this is kinda moot. Ranges for me run less than 50 yards almost all the time.

Back