K-Hornet extracton problem

Geezerbiker

I bought this rifle a few years back but I'm just getting to where I shoot it regularly. When I got it, it came with a bunch of ammo but every round, the case cracked and masked the problem. Now I'm loading rounds with new PPU cases, the rounds are hard to extract.

Here's what the case looks like.
K-Hornet_problem.jpg

Would polishing the chamber fix this or will I have to send it out to have the barrel set back and the chamber recut.

BTW, it's a Ruger 77/22 Hornet and it's had bolt work, glass bedding work done and a trigger job. It's a real tack driver and this problem is very irritating to say the least...

Tony

I've cleaned it but I don't have anyway to get a good view up the chamber. The headspace seems to be fine. The shoulder isn't pushed back when I size the cases so they don't appear to be stretching and the bolt closes tight on the cartridge.

The case is a PPU that has only been fired the one time. The indent on the case is less than 1/3 the way round the neck.

There is some kind of ridge in the chamber. I can't tell if it's a brass deposit or a poorly cut chamber causing the problem. I'm thinking of using a 1/4" dowel with a split end to hold some 600 grit wet/dry paper and a little oil to try to polish it out. I'm hoping I don't make it worse.

Tony

I do not say this as an absolute fact, but I have seen this condition in other chamber types. It looks as if someone tried to "Cheat" and slip another reamer in to change the chamber dimensions and the second reamer was slightly under the original reamer size, or the pilot on the reamer was slightly off center. In other words, the chamber did not clean up with the second reamer.

A K-Hornet is a Wildcat anyway, if that is actually what it is.

looks like trouble

Can't tell for sure if that is a bulge or the way the light reflected off the case if its a bulge that's the problem.

I'd get somebody who knew his stuff to run in a good K Hornet reamer and hope it cleaned up the mess. If it doesn't, you need a new barrel, not much option on a rotary mag Ruger.

I'll look into getting some Cerrosafe but won't it jam in the chamber the same way the cases stick?

If the only fix is a new barrel, I'm going to try polishing the camber since there will be nothing to loose...

Tony

Unless you are a dab hand at polishing, you can easily end up with an oval chamber. I would look for somebody with a K H reamer.

Geezerbiker,

No Cerrosafe will not stick, if its from an eccentric finish reamer. It will show the step in it.

The only way Cerrosafe would stick, is if the chamber had a bulge in it. However, as low as it melts, its easy to get out.

Back