K Frame Grips (SQB) VZ vs. Ahrend Retro Target?

I have always preferred wood, not laminates, but real solid hardwood, for my grips. They are handsome, age well, and are comfortable to shoot.

Never found any plastic grips to my liking.

Bob Wright

P.S. The current S&W wood stocks are laminated birch, stained to rosewood color and come under the heading of "plastic."

Ahrends Retro Target Stocks

I have no experience with the VZ grips but I do have a pair of the Ahrends Retro Targets in Cocobolo. I bought them to replace the factory rubber Hogues that came on my 686-4. They are quite a bit slimmer and shaped somewhat differently than the S&W factory Targets.

I have large hands and actually prefer the factory targets but I do like the Ahrends

Last edited:
I have a set of VZ grips for the k frame. They are really cool looking, but they are in my tool box of gun parts because I prefer the feel of S&W wood stocks.

I've tried various and sundry grips for K-frames, and have come to the conclusion the ones I like best are the ones that came on them. Either factory target, my favorite I suppose, or Magna's with a BK grip adapter added. The grip adapter has the advantage of being inexpensive.

K-22

14-2

Like Bob I've never cared for any laminate grip. The only aftermarket grips I've ever liked at all were Hogue Monogrips, or Pachmayr. They're not attractive at all, but do work well for me.

First of all, thank you everyone for the replies.

But, I was looking for a comparison between, say, Ahrend Retro Target and VZ square bottom grips.

I find the stock S&W grips too big. I don't get a good trigger reach. So far, I have found the Ahred Retro Target grips, which were specifically made for small-to-medium hands, the best fit for me. I was wondering whether the VZ grips provided a similar feel and trigger reach. If so, I was going to try a pair on my square bottom K/L frames.

I have tried both of those grips, albeit mine were for a N frame. The finger grooves on the Ahrends fit my hand better, but the VZ grips were grippier as smooth G10 isn't as slippery as smooth wood. The VZ grips were a little thicker too. Hope this helps.

The finger grooves on the Ahrends fit my hand better, but the VZ grips were grippier as smooth G10 isn't as slippery as smooth wood. The VZ grips were a little thicker too. Hope this helps.
Thanks. But it sounds like you have an Ahrend Retro Combat and the VZ for round bottom. I am looking for input from someone who has felt/used Ahrend Retro Target (no finger grooves) and VZ square bottom (also no finger grooves).

By the way, how much thicker was the VZ RB vs. Ahrend RC? Did it affect trigger reach?

Back