K-frame grips for big hands

dufous

Inactive
After 40 years of shooting exclusively semiautomatics I cast caution to the winds and bought a S&W Model 66.. Problem -- big hands and long arthritic fingers that are taking a beating from the trigger guard. I tried both Hogue and Pachmayr rubber stocks but they just don't fill in the space behind the guard. Any suggestions?

You say you have big hands right? Have you tried S&W K-frame target grips? They are large and fill that area pretty well. They are also plentiful on the used market. Check Ebay for them.

Forgot to add is your 66 a square butt or round butt? The target grips I have seen have been square butts but they do make them for the round butts as well.

Another vote for the factory S&W grips. Or you could try old school---
Tyler T-grip adapters are still being made.

flatblacktgrip.jpg

"...K-frame target grips..." Those don't put more space between the trigger guard and one's finger.
Keeping in mind that 'K' frames aren't made for big hands and chasing grips gets really expensive these days, try Herrett's Jordan Trooper. Cheap, they ain't though. Where you are matters just because you really need to try 'em before buying. $122.50 for the Jordans.
http://www.herrettstocks.com/index-2.html
It was the other way for me. Had a 19 I never did get to fit my hand right.
1,000px is too big.

Big K

Ebay listing today

Smith and Wesson K Frame factory vintage target wood grips S&W square butt...
$149.99

Alternately, try a custom grip maker explaning your issues.

In the pic in the previous post, note the intersection of the trigger guard and the grip's support for the 2nd finger. The grip blends in with the rear of the trigger guard and prevents knuckle rap. It's the fix you're looking for if it's knuckle rap you're having trouble with.

Smith and Wesson K Frame factory vintage target wood grips will do nothing to prevent knuckle rap...as they intersect too far up the frame, creating a 90 degree angle between the rear of the trigger guard and the grip, which is perfect for hammering your 2nd finger.

Eagle & Altamont offer good looking grips that may work out for you. Both, to me, are smaller than the Smith Target Grips of current and long ago make, but do offer a grip/trigger guard radius that helps with knuckle rap...with really big hands however, either may be smaller than what you need.

Those X-frame Tamer types, for a "K" framed, M66, would be my #1 choice....fugly, but a good shooting grip! Be sure to check if you've got a round butt or a square butt before ordering. Current S&W production is all round butt to my knowledge in their revamped M66.

HTH's Rod

Last edited:
If you truly have large hands...palming a basketball size , then check out Herrett's Bill Jordan Trooper Stocks . Get an order form and trace you hand on it...Herrett's will custom make the grips for your hand...no better fit can be had .
Herrett's calls them "stocks" , others call them grips but they do a great job.
Gary

Herrett's does, or did, make a set that covered the backstrap rather than the front, to move the hand away from the trigger guard.

thanks for the advice

The Hogue Frame Tamers (thanks Paul)
proved to be perfect. I bought them at Amazon (for easy returns) for only $29. Comfortable to shoot and position my hand perfectly.

Altamont currently makes grips for S&W, I have their target grip on one of my older 66’s and it is quite comfortable. They run about $60 bucks.

The Hogue Frame Tamers (thanks Paul)
proved to be perfect. I bought them at Amazon (for easy returns) for only $29. Comfortable to shoot and position my hand perfectly.
I have large hands too and I've been very pleased with Hogue grips. I have them on both of my S&W revolvers and my M1911.

The only handgun I have that Hogue grips didn't make better is my Ruger Super Blackhawk. They didn't work for me at all on this revolver.

Tony

Can't help but wonder if the S&W "coke bottle" style stocks from the fifties and sixties wouldn't have worked better with your huge paws.

Altamont still makes a version they claim to be true to the originals. I put a set on my S&W model 15 and although I don't possess huge monkey hands I like them a lot.

On the other hand, I have some pachmeyers (without those horrible finger grooves) from decades ago on my 586 (L frame although K frame grips fit them fine as well) and I like them quite a lot too.

Back