Juvenile crime bills

dZ

I ran a search on Thomas http://thomas.loc.gov / with the phrase
Juvenile crime bill
i feel safer already!

heres the result:
1. S.639: A bill to prevent truancy and reduce juvenile crime.
Sponsor: Sen Bingaman, Jeff .

2. S.640: A bill to establish a pilot program to promote the replication of recent successful juvenile crime reduction strategies.
Sponsor: Sen Bingaman, Jeff .

3. H.R.2126: A bill to improve academic and social outcomes for students and reduce both juvenile crime and the risk that youth will become victims of crime by providing productive
activities during after school hours.
Sponsor: Rep Berkley, Shelley .

4. S.838: A bill to amend the Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention Act of 1974, and for other purposes.
Sponsor: Sen Domenici, Pete V. .

5. S.993: A bill to prevent juvenile crime, provide for certain punishment of juvenile delinquents, and incapacitate violent juvenile criminals, and for other purposes.
Sponsor: Sen Biden, Joseph R., Jr. .

6. S.316: A bill to amend the Child Care and Development Block Grant Act of 1990 to improve the availability of child care and development services during periods outside normal school
hours, and for other purposes.
Sponsor: Sen Kennedy, Edward M. .

7. S.716: A bill to provide for the prevention of juvenile crime, and for other purposes.
Sponsor: Sen Kohl, Herb .

8. S.899: A bill to reduce crime and protect the public in the 21st Century by strengthening Federal assistance to State and local law enforcement, combating illegal drugs and preventing
drug use, attacking the criminal use of guns, promoting accountability and rehabilitation of juvenile criminals, protecting the rights of victims in the criminal justice system, and improving
criminal justice rules and procedures, and for other purposes.
Sponsor: Sen Hatch, Orrin G. .

9. H.R.1498: A bill to amend the Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention Act of 1974, and for other purposes.
Sponsor: Rep Wilson, Heather .

10. S.9: A bill to combat violent and gang-related crime in schools and on the streets, to reform the juvenile justice system, target international crime, promote effective drug and other crime
prevention programs, assist crime victims, and for other purposes.
Sponsor: Sen Daschle, Thomas A. .

11. S.254: A bill to reduce violent juvenile crime, promote accountability by rehabilitation of juvenile criminals, punish and deter violent gang crime, and for other purposes.
Sponsor: Sen Hatch, Orrin G. .- LATEST ACTION: 05/20/99 Measure passed Senate, amended, roll call #140 (73-25) .

12. H.R.489: A bill to amend the Child Care and Development Block Grant Act of 1990 to improve the availability of child care and development services during periods outside normal
school hours, and for other purposes.
Sponsor: Rep Slaughter, Louise McIntosh .

13. S.817: A bill to improve academic and social outcomes for students and reduce both juvenile crime and the risk that youth will become victims of crime by providing productive activities
during after school hours.
Sponsor: Sen Boxer, Barbara .

14. S.538: A bill to provide for violent and repeat juvenile offender accountability, and for other purposes.
Sponsor: Sen Ashcroft, John .

15. H.R.1150: A bill to amend the Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention Act of 1974 to authorize appropriations for fiscal years 2000, 2001, 2002, and 2003, and for other purposes.
Sponsor: Rep Greenwood, James C. .

16. H.R.1501: A bill to provide grants to ensure increased accountability for juvenile offenders.
Sponsor: Rep McCollum, Bill .- LATEST ACTION: 06/17/99 Measure passed House, amended, roll call #233 (287-139) .

Items containing the words juvenile crime near each other in any order.

17. H.R.77: A bill to enhance Federal enforcement of hate crimes, and for other purposes.
Sponsor: Rep Jackson-Lee, Sheila .

18. S.622: A bill to enhance Federal enforcement of hate crimes, and for other purposes.

19. S.735: A bill to protect children from firearms violence.

20. H.R.1342: A bill to protect children from firearms violence.
Sponsor: Rep McCarthy, Carolyn .

digging into H.R.1342 we find:
Children's Gun Violence Prevention Act of 1999 - Title I: Children's Firearm Safety Act of 1999 - Amends the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act to prohibit (beginning 18
months after this Act's enactment) the manufacture or import of an unsafe handgun, with exceptions.

Defines "unsafe handgun" to mean: (1) any handgun that fails a specified drop test; (2) any handgun without a child resistant trigger mechanism designed to prevent a child under age five
from operating it; (3) any semiautomatic pistol that does not have a magazine disconnect safety; and (4) any handgun that is sold without a mechanism designed to prevent a handgun's
discharge by an authorized user.

i repeat:

(4) any handgun that is sold without a mechanism designed to prevent a handgun's
discharge by an authorized user.

how is that different than:
(2) any handgun without a child resistant trigger mechanism designed to prevent a child under age five
from operating it;

?????

dZ

here is HR 1501: http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/D?d106:1:./temp/~bdsXFw:@@@L|/bss/d106query.html |
POPULAR TITLE(S):
Juvenile Crime bill
Juvenile Justice bill

SHORT TITLE(S) AS INTRODUCED:
Consequences for Juvenile Offenders Act of 1999

OFFICIAL TITLE AS INTRODUCED:
A bill to provide grants to ensure increased accountability for juvenile offenders.

an interesting amendment:

H.AMDT.203
AMENDS: H.R.1501
SPONSOR: Rep Emerson, Jo Ann, (introduced 06/17/99)
An amendment no. 32 and printed in Part A of H.Rept. 106-186 to express the Sense of the Congress condemning the entertainment industry for its use of pointless acts of brutality in
movies, televisions, music, and video games.

Jun 17, 99 Amendment Offered by Representative Emerson.

Jun 17, 99 On agreeing to the Emerson amendment (A029) Agreed to by voice vote.

Jun 17, 99 Mr. Coburn demanded a separate vote on the Emerson amendment (A029).

Jun 17, 99 On agreeing to the Emerson amendment (A029) Agreed to by the Yeas and Nays: 355 - 68 (Roll no. 231).

1. S.639: A bill to prevent truancy and reduce juvenile crime.

And just how in the hell do they plan on enforcing that one? Are they gonna send a cop to everyone's home every morning and have him frogmarch the kids to school for their daily propaganda?

Utterly mad... our government is utterly mad.

------------------
"We are going to fight. We are going to be hurt.
But in the end, we will stand."
--Roland Deschain

Sometime in the last 15 or 20 years, I read an article in Guns & Ammo written by a fellow who had spent quite a bit of time researching crime trends and their possible causes. He discovered that since 1900 (as far back as reliable records would allow research), the ONLY thing that matched high spikes in crime rates was.....increases in the JUVENILE POPULATION!!!! As the juvies aged past adolesence, crime rates dropped, and stayed relatively low until the next generation began to creep into adolesence.
I find this highly ironic in light of the fact that the current battle-cry of the bannits is "for the children". Hellfire, it's those little f***ers that are COMMITTING a large percentage of the violent crimes. The "smart" criminals are the older ones who go in more for property crimes such as embezlement, insurance fraud, large-scale drug dealing, etc, where the REAL money is. Unfortunately, crime DOES pay. Why else is the world's leading business the illicit drug trade? ($700 BILLION+ anually, as opposed to the #2 business, telecomunications, at $500 billion+.)

------------------
Shoot straight regards, Richard
The Shottist's Center forums.delphi.com/m/main.asp?sigdir=45acp45lc

Sometime in the last 15 or 20 years, I read an article in Guns & Ammo written by a fellow who had spent quite a bit of time researching crime trends and their possible causes. He discovered that since 1900 (as far back as reliable records would allow research), the ONLY thing that matched high spikes in crime rates was.....increases in the JUVENILE POPULATION!!!! As the juvies aged past adolesence, crime rates dropped, and stayed relatively low until the next generation began to creep into adolesence.
I find this highly ironic in light of the fact that the current battle-cry of the bannits is "for the children". Hellfire, it's those little f***ers that are COMMITTING a large percentage of the violent crimes. The "smart" criminals are the older ones who go in more for property crimes such as embezlement, insurance fraud, large-scale drug dealing, etc, where the REAL money is. Unfortunately, crime DOES pay. Why else is the world's leading business the illicit drug trade? ($700 BILLION+ anually, as opposed to the #2 business, telecomunications, at $500 billion+.)

------------------
Shoot straight regards, Richard
The Shottist's Center forums.delphi.com/m/main.asp?sigdir=45acp45lc

Coinneach,
I can help explain the prevention of truancy. They will put the parents in jail! Honest!

My daughter Teresa was sick, had to go to the doctor. When she returned to school a note from the parents was NOT enough for an excused absence! It had to be a note from the doctor - and not anyone else at the doctor's office!

This amazed me because if I had brought her home (instead of taking her to the doctor) my note would have sufficed.

The school system called it an unexcused absence nearly equal to the number of days which would permit them to put BOTH my wife and me in jail. This would have left both my daughters without parents and the great state of Texas would have had Child Protective Services take our kids from us.

And they want parental involvement! They damned near got more involvement than they could handle! (Can you spell GARAND?)

Gotta quit. I'm smashing the keyboard!

(BP 180/115; Pulse 140; Resp 32)

(e) AUTHORIZATION OF APPROPRIATIONS- There is authorized to be
appropriated to carry out this section, $25,000,000 for each of fiscal years 2000, 2001,
and 2002.

doods!, here is our answer
maybe we could set up gun clubs to thwart truancy! we could get 100k per year!

go to http://thomas.loc.gov
search for S.639

read what we are paying for

Idea:

We set up a public school which includes

--*mandatory* firearms safety and marksmanship courses(*);

--*mandatory* non-revisionist world and US history courses;

--*mandatory* Constitutional Law courses.

(*) I don't think attendance would be an issue with this one. "OK, kids, today we're going to learn muzzle control with select-fire Uzis. Tomorrow's lesson will be on identifying blue helmets at 500 yards."

Dennis: Two words, bud: Private School.
------------------
"We are going to fight. We are going to be hurt.
But in the end, we will stand."
--Roland Deschain

[This message has been edited by Coinneach (edited June 26, 1999).]

Back