Just wondering, before I start my collection:

21CFA

Are "TAX" stamps deductible?? I may accumulate a half-dozen or so. Should I just become a Dealer?

Well, I can't say about deducting NFA stamps but if you are looking at buying six registered machineguns, I can't see what harm getting a class III FFL would do. You can keep pre-samples when you give up your license.

Excise tax is not deductible, becomming a dealer is like being a crack addict. Paying the money and tax for transferrables makes the best sense.

becomming a dealer is like being a crack addict.
That's funny. I am going to tell my class III dealer that. He fits the image too, with more pre-sample HKs than you can shake a stick at. He calls them his babies

I would strongly suggest contacting a Chartered Accountant about that...

As far as I know the Tax Stamp is a necessary part of your business, hence a deductible expense same a property or business taxes are especially if you sell the item...

It also depends if you are a business dealing in "outdoor" stuff or just a private collector then if the first you may and the second you can't...

I can't remember how Capital Gains works in the USA but if you sell the firearm the "tax stamp" is then a loss and it would reduce the amount you would have to pay...

I started a small company dealing in outdoor equipment--clothing, knives, flashlights, optics, fishing rods & reels, fishing tackle etc. just so I could buy stuff at wholesale pricing...Took out the necessary government licenses, I file an income statement every year and I show enough sales to be a legal business but declare a loss every year what with taxes, shipping, duties, excise tax, exchange etc...

Back