Just took a kid pistol shooting-WOW sent the NRA some more money

1911Heaven

Last evening I took a friends son pistol shooting for the first time.Although his father is an avid upland and duck hunter,his son has never expressed much interest in the sport.Recently however he has expressed on numerous occasions that he would like to try pistol shooting.His father has done an excellent job teaching safe gun handling and for 12 years old we have always commented on his maturity and composure.Last evening father and son met me at the range,and after familiarizing him with the model 41 Smith he would be shooting,we settled into a shooting session.Father jostled me about "ruining him with the good stuff first"and son by the third clip(we started him with single shots)could eat up the X-ring at 15yards.The smile on his face and his comments on "how good the powder smells"took me back to a Christmas in the 60's when,at about the same age,I found the Ruger Single-Six under the tree.Who among you back then did'nt want to shoot as good as Nick and Heath Barclay?Anyway after arriving home last night I realized that although I lost my father many years ago now,how much I would like to thank him for trusting me..for properly introducing me to a sport that is my passion to this day...and instead of ordering that new pair of diamond rosewood grips for a pet 1911,I instead sent the money to the NRA.Because what would it be like to lose moments like these forever? SUPPORT THE NRA!!! Take a kid shooting!!! 1911's forever!!!

1911, Good for you! My sister used to be rabidly anti-gun. She didn't want any guns in the house and she didn't particualrly care for it when I was carrying in her house. I managed to talk her in to letting me take her 10 year old son to the range with me one day. I gave him the safety speech and we went through some dry fire excercises to confirm that he understood all the rules. The boy was a natural.. We shot my Buckmark and an old Marlin model 25 and at the end of the session I broke out the Kimber. I loaded up a single round and let him shoot.. I'll never forget the look on his face, pure delight! Well the boy took to the .45 like a duck to water (He's a bit bigger than his years would have you think).I still manage to get him to the range with me on occasion and he still does just fine.. The best part is my sister has done a 180 on guns and thinks every house should have one and my youngest sister, hearing stories from the Lad has asked me to taker her boys and teach them to shoot. Guess what I have in store this weekend? Mark / FL

Right on mark! Just think what he would have learned about shooting from..T.V...newspaper...school. Its up to us what we want the next generation to believe,feel,think and vote when it comes to firearms.Glad he took to the Kimber-great introduction to "old Slabsides".

Back