Just Shows To Go Ya

fiveninestexas

A while back, I got into a nostalgia thing and bought a used Cimarron/Uberti 1873 SAA with a 7.5 inch barrel in .45 Colt. I also got dies, some new Starline brass, and lead bullets to do some reloading - with smokeless powder. The SAA is a fun gun to shoot and the reloading is enjoyable. But there was something missing. The Holy Black. I watched a few YouTube videos on reloading .45 Colt with black powder using the brass gizmos for measuring tools. OK, I'm in. But until recently I haven't been able to find any real black powder, so The Holy Black project had been on hold. I found some Goex online and had my finger on the "Buy" button for a couple of pounds of FFFg when I thought I'd check the Goex site for reloading data - just to make sure. I was *positive* that the videos I watched showed them using FFFg. But guess what??? Goex says to use FFg!

I have no clue (and don't care) what would happen if I used FFFg, since I'm not one to step out of bounds when it comes to powder selection. But this is an instance where (IMO) we need to remember to do our own research and not take stuff we see here and there for granted.

Just sayin'. :-)

Cheers!

There really shouldn't be any problem with using either FFF or FF powder. I've heard that FF ignites more reliably, but I know plenty of people who only have FFF on hand, and use it to great effect.

powder

Actually it really wouldn't of made much difference which you used.
BP is not as volatile as smokeless.
In the C&P BP revolvers FFFg is normally used as the smaller grains are more easily ignited.
In the BP rifles 50 and under they will recommend fffg and ffg depending on manufacturer.
50 cal and bigger almost always ffg
However both my 54 cal sharps and 50 cal smith recommend fffg.

But as you say do the research.

I use 3F in everything. .69 Smoothbore, .58 rifles, .44 revolvers. 3F typically burns a bit hotter than 2F. They say the rule of thumb is 15% less 3F gives about the same bang as a given charge of 2F.

Since 2F and 3F cost the same, 3F is more cost effective.

For best accuracy you should develop a specific load for any given combination of power and bullet.

Steve

^^^That !!! So do I. Even flintlock priming powder. And I use it in 45 Colt. BTW, you can also use Pyrodex P or RS, and can get it locally (usually). Still get the smoke and smell.

I load 38 Colt Short/Long, Spl. and 357 with BP - course the case volume is less than a 45 Colt - but it all depends on what I have on hand. I've used both FFFg and ffg in them and they work out fine. In a 45 Colt, I don't think you'd see a problem at all though. If you were concerned about the 3F, you could always use a thicker card under the slug to take up case volume - just make sure you have compressed loads with the BP.

I'm getting set up now to load for 45 Colt and plan on both smokeless & BP. I don't shoot any of my pistols with "hot loads" with smokeless. I have plenty of 45 Colt but am also going to get some 45 Schofield casings as well for lighter BP loads. All I do is "plink" and a few grains saved here and there eventually fill another casing up. :D I didn't know it until a short time ago that Star Line also makes a 45 cowboy "special" casing - shorter than the Schofield. I still haven't located a source for them though as they don't list them on their site.

Sounds like you are going to have lots of fun! Post some photos if you can . . . we'd love to see 'em! :)

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "card"? I know that there should be no air space between the bullet and BP and I assume this "card" can be used as a filler, but are cards available to order, or something you cut out to put in the case? I've heard of cornmeal and such being used as fillers. Thanks in advance!

Card wads are paper material and usually used in shotguns. A thick one over the powder and a thin one over the shot. Cards could be used in any pistol shell I suppose but more often a wax lubed felt wad is used.

I will agree with what has been said about fffg. I have used fffg 777 and fffg pyrodex in all my revolvers, my .50 rifles, my .54 and even in my 12 gauge. Reduce 777 charges by 15% or so.

Back