Just shot a G48 -- may have to take back earlier disdain

OhioGuy

I'm pretty indifferent to Glocks. Never really cared much for or against them, they just didn't stand out to me. When the 43x and 48 came out, I rolled my eyes and thought "who asked for these? Why would anyone get one of these?"

Today I shot one at the range, and I think it's the best shooting single stack 9 I've used. Yeah, trigger could be better, etc. and so forth, but for a slim CCW gun, it's really well executed and soft shooting. I don't know if it's just that extra length in the muzzle, or if I'm just imagining things, but I thought it was easier to stay on target than the 43x and definitely than the 43. Seemed less snappy than my Walther PPS M2, and it fits 10 rounds into the space that Walther and others fit 8.

A 3rd party brand is supposed to be releasing a 15 round steel magazine for the 43x/48 this summer. If those become real, and are found to be reliable, then we'll have a Glock 19 in a Glock 43 package, so...dang. I may be adding one of these to the family later this year if those mags become reality. It's not so superior to anything that I'd switch to Glock just for 2 extra rounds, but the full size capacity would make it appealing, for competition if nothing else. I usually don't shoot my PPS in IDPA style events because I get tired of swapping mags (and don't want to buy a pile of mags at $40 each)!

Anyone else here find themselves eating their own words after trying a 48?

I'm pretty indifferent to Glocks. Never really cared much for or against them, they just didn't stand out to me. When the 43x and 48 came out, I rolled my eyes and thought "who asked for these? Why would anyone get one of these?"

Today I shot one at the range, and I think it's the best shooting single stack 9 I've used. Yeah, trigger could be better, etc. and so forth, but for a slim CCW gun, it's really well executed and soft shooting. I don't know if it's just that extra length in the muzzle, or if I'm just imagining things, but I thought it was easier to stay on target than the 43x and definitely than the 43. Seemed less snappy than my Walther PPS M2, and it fits 10 rounds into the space that Walther and others fit 8.

A 3rd party brand is supposed to be releasing a 15 round steel magazine for the 43x/48 this summer. If those become real, and are found to be reliable, then we'll have a Glock 19 in a Glock 43 package, so...dang. I may be adding one of these to the family later this year if those mags become reality. It's not so superior to anything that I'd switch to Glock just for 2 extra rounds, but the full size capacity would make it appealing, for competition if nothing else. I usually don't shoot my PPS in IDPA style events because I get tired of swapping mags (and don't want to buy a pile of mags at $40 each)!

I'm already a fan of Glock(surprise)..a G26/43 don't make my hand/wrist/thumb happy. I handled a 48 and it really felt good in hand. The barrel length isn't a consideration for IWB carry for me, Think the -48 is in the cards for a better shooting(for me) 9mm than the 26 or 43..

I got to shoot a 48 recently. It was nice enough but not $200 nicer than my Shield that I am very happy with.

I shot a recent IDPA match with the G48. 10-rd is perfect for SSP class. I came in 7th overall out of 19 shooters. The gun ran flawlessly, I have no penalty points, just did not shoot as fast as some of the better/younger shooters.

The only drawbacks on the G48 are the mag release and slide release (yes, competition shooters use slide release method) are a bit hard to reach. I am sure the extended mag release and slide release will be available soon.

I still carry G19 as my EDC. G48 strictly as a fun IDPA competition gun for me.

Last edited:
Just an aside, but every G43, G43X, and G48 we had flew out of the shop today. Glock really put out some winners. My 43X is on order...can't wait!

For most people with medium-sized hands (I know - redundant), a few mm in grip width makes a notable difference in control/comfort. Try doing pull-ups with a thin bar vs. a thick bar and you realize that right away. In the case of strength-training, you want a thicker bar, because it’s a more difficult challenge and makes you stronger faster. But in controlling handguns, thinner grip circumference is better (within reason, as there is such a thing as too thin).

I got to shoot a 48 recently. It was nice enough but not $200 nicer than my Shield that I am very happy with.
Yeah, I'd agree with that. That's why I thought that the existence of a rumored 15 round magazine would be the factor that might make it worth the "upgrade." Not necessarily because 15 are needed, but because it would become "Double stack gun in single stack size" and not just another single stack with an extra round in it.

I can't imagine every other vendor won't soon be coming out with high capacity single stacks too. Which I guess is a good thing. Eventually someone will develop a pocket gun that holds 16 rounds of .45 and breaks the laws of physics.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. That's why I thought that the existence of a rumored 15 round magazine would be the factor that might make it worth the "upgrade." Not necessarily because 15 are needed, but because it would become "Double stack gun in single stack size" and not just another single stack with an extra round in it.
You're right. If the 15 round mags prove to be reliable it will be a game changer.

Makes me wish I had thought of it.

I carry either a Shield or a J-frame, or both, pocket carry. If the high capacity mags work out I might have to consider trying the higher priced g48 as a replacement for those two.

I have one Glock, a G19, and I'm very fond of it. That said, I went a long time without getting excited about any of the new Glock offerings. I don't own a G42 or G43, and don't foresee buying them. Gen 5 is kind of nice, but not so different from my Gen 4 that I'll be switching over.

The G48 has caught my interest, though. I find the G19 to be ever-so-slightly too fat for my hands, and I carry in a suit more than most. Those 4 mm (or whatever it is) just might make a huge difference for me. I've handled the G48 and I really like the feel of them. I can't really see selling off my G19 to buy one, but I may have to save my nickels for a while.

Hmmm . . . . Now that I think about it, I have a few days off, and the range has one to rent . . . . I may need to do that.

Spats, for a long time I reasoned that about 1/3 of an inch difference in thickness couldn't make much of an impact in concealment, but in fitted clothing it really does. Even with a slim single stack, I get a hump where a shirt is tucked around the gun. I'm pretty sure the 48 would conceal much better than the 19 in those kinds of circumstances. Although the 48 still has the same height as a 19, so depending on where you carry it the grip may still stick out more than you'd like.

My hands are not particularly large, and I usually find single stacks to be just a little bit more comfortable for me than the fatter models. The 48 fit me perfectly. I still prefer the fit of my Walther PPS with the extended magazine however, but that will never be anything more than eight rounds, where the 48 is rumored to soon have the option to go to 15

I've fondled all of the new Glocks within the last few months, but I've stayed away. It is possible shooting them would change my mind, though. However, size matters to me, and I still like the size of my G42 and G43 for my daily carry.

To put it this way, if the G42 and G43 were released after these new single stacks, I'd be more excited due to their small size. I do like the new slides, but not enough to choose that feature if Glock were to release G42s and G43s with it. So overall, I'm content for the foreseeable future.

I've fondled all of the new Glocks within the last few months, but I've stayed away. It is possible shooting them would change my mind, though. However, size matters to me, and I still like the size of my G42 and G43 for my daily carry.

To put it this way, if the G42 and G43 were released after these new single stacks, I'd be more excited due to their small size. I do like the new slides, but not enough to choose that feature if Glock were to release G42s and G43s with it. So overall, I'm content for the foreseeable future.
Other than the -43 not being a thrill for ME to shoot..I also like the versatility of the 42/43 platform in that you can use 6/7/8/10 mags to suit the clothes you wear that day..grip length(not width) is a factor for me when EDC, not..IMHO, of course.

I am pretty convinced that Glock got caught with their pants down with the introduction of the Sig P365 and looking at the future possibilities of mag limits in a number of states they would go the thin route with their single stack. A very nice move on their part. I am seeing more and more of them come into our range and need to get one into my hands to shoot. I am not a Glock guy but I do see the wisdom in owning a number of guns on the exact same platform.

Actually I wanted nothing to do with Glock for many years. For my hands they were across the board the most non-ergonomic grips I had ever encountered by any manufacturer.

That all changed with the intro of the G42 and G43. Here were Glocks I was finally enthused about. The first Glocks that actually felt good in the hand.

The G48 I handled at a gun show recently was more of the same , a Glock that fit me very well. I hope the gun shop over in OH has one in their rental inventory next time I am there.

Back