Just scoped my muzzleloader--point of impact?

Mike Johnson

Inactive
Well, I just decided to put a scope on my muzzleloader since Georgia has yet to adopt a muzzleloader season. Now I just have to go sight it in. Of course, the question is at what range should I zero the rifle so that I don't have to worry about point of impact on deer sized game out to 100 yards or so? I am shooting 240 gr .44 caliber sabots from a .54 caliber in-line muzzleloader and will be loading with probably 90-95 grains of Pyrodex. Can anyone provide hypothetical points of impact at distances from 25 yards out to 150 yards? Thanks.

Mike, I lived in Indiana for several years and they didn't allow high power rifles for deer hunting. Our options were shotgun, muzzleloader or handgun. I went through the same thing you are going through now and even got some trajectory info from Hornady which I soon learned didn't apply to my particular gun and load. What I wound up doing was sighting in at 75yds and then shooting at 100 and 150 to find the difference in point of impact for my gun/load. George

I would agree with George at 75 yards. A good book to check with is Lyman's Blackpowder Handbook. It has a multitude of ballistic tables for varying barrel lengths, bullet weights and blackpowder charges.

Back