Just picked up the 1866 Winchester from Uberti

Got a mold for a 200 gr RNFP

and the dies from Lee on order.

Also bought a four place turret so as to permit me to easily swap from one caliber to another.

No sooner I hit the send key on the Mold and Dies post...

...What happens?

Mailman comes up with a box from Titan with all that stuff plus my copy of Modern reloading, Richard Lee.

Lemme tell you all about Titan Reloading.

I know that everyone has their favorite go-to place for stuff and normally folks don't like it when someone tries to convince them of sumpin.

But I just have to do a shout out to Titan. Their prices are real good. Their shipping is far from outrageous. And I swear I got these items two days after I ordered them. Just plain outstanding!

If you like Lee stuff, this is (IMO) the place to go.

What caliber?

P.S. There are a couple of extra screws next to the hammer screw on the left side. Not usually there. I wonder if it used to have a saddle ring on it?

Last edited:
P.S. There are a couple of extra screws next to the hammer screw on the left side. Not usually there. I wonder if it used to have a saddle ring on it?

Yeah, that looks kind of odd on a short rifle. Nice looking gun....OOPS:eek:... rifle tho. Sorry Doc, forgot you enlisted all of us in the navy:D

Nice, I bet you'll like it. I have the round barrel carbine in 44-40 and love it. I'd have preferred a full length rifle but got it in a trade that couldn't be passed up.

One of my favorite things is the jingle of empty brass as the action is worked.

DJ

Caliber is .44-40.

Might be right about the saddle ring.

This is a Sporting Rifle. I may have said Short Rifle originally but it has a 24 inch octagon barrel.

Makes it a Sporting Rifle....and the upper tang is marked Sporting Rifle.

Last edited:
Just took it apart....

and took some very fine steel wool to the brass parts and the wood.

Followed up with Never Dull for the brass and teak oil on the wood.

As this rifle was already very well cared for, it did not make much of a difference.

The more I handle it, the more I like it.

Priced a short stroke kit and at 160.00 for the amount and manner in which I shoot, it ain't worth it.

To the member who sold it to me, I am very pleased and I leave it to you to identify yourself.

You didn't say it was a short rifle Doc. I just presumed it was because of the short barrel and no barrel band. Personally I don't like short throw levers.

Cheater levers don't seem to feel right to me.

A buddy of mine had a Browning BLR. I have never had more displeasure from shooting a lever action than I had with shooting that thing.

To the member who sold it to me, I am very pleased and I leave it to you to identify yourself.
I'm glad you're happy with it, Doc.

It is smooth too.
You're welcome:D. It didn't used to be. I pulled it apart when I first bought it and smoothed the innards. I also replaced the original main spring with one from VTI. The original spring was twice as thick as the one from VTI and dang was it stiff.

Beautiful rifle Doc!

You are the one who put me on to Titan . . and I agree with you 100%! Great folks to deal with.

You are going to like that 4 hole turret - I de-prime and size on an older RCBS Jr 3 = prime my brass with the new Lee ergo hand primer - then load on my 4 hole turret. I love it and plan on buying another one to put out here in AZ so my loading set-up is the same as the one I have back in MI. I love the ability to leave the dies set up on the turret plate and then just switch out the plate for next caliber. Mine is a real pleasure to use!

Let us know how the new rifle shoots! :)

BBB

The first thing I did to my press was to change it from three holes to four. Very cheap to do with Lee multistage press. only about 17.00 in parts. I did not include the progressive press option. I am not there yet.

Then I set up a turret plate for each of the calibers I reload.

This means I don't have to set up the dies each time I change calibers.

I check the first coupla rounds and generally don't have to make a bunch of changes.

Now I am in the market for .44-40 brass.

Back