Just picked up my Ruger 10/22 today!! Questions about scope.

twoblink

So first, I want to say that I am now officially a proud owner of a Ruger 10/22 Rifle, with the wood stock. I've always wanted one, and now I have one!!!

So now my question is, do I need a scope? I'm super anal and I generally would like to balance cost with the item being best of breed.

So suggestions for my Ruger? I know Zeiss and Leica from the camera world, and their optics are amazing, and I also hear that Leupold is good, other suggestions?

Anybody with a Ruger 10/22 and a particular scope they are overly happy with?

Thanks!
Albert

Congradulations on your 10/22. Been wanting one for years but other things keep coming up... move, house, food... ya know those little pleasures in life.

> So now my question is, do I need a scope?

In my best Clint Eastwood voice "Well do ya punk?" Really... only you can answer that. I don't think it is a matter of need so much as want. If you want one then yes... you need one. :D

> I'm super anal and I generally would like to balance cost with the item being best of breed. I know Zeiss and Leica from the camera world, and their optics are amazing, and I also hear that Leupold is good, other suggestions? <

Swarovski is another suggestion. I would not get a ".22" scope for the simple reason they are made with smaller tubes, stick with a "regular" scope. Myself, I would probably look for a 1.? x ?(4,5,6). With the ranges a .22 will be used at you won't need a very high upper magnification. 4x, 5x, 6x should be all that you will ever need.

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

I put the Simmons 22mag 3x9x32AO on mine and love it. it has fine crosshairs and dosen't cover up the whole target.(I shoot at the numbers on the targets at 25 yards). The scope cost $100.00. Its more than most 22 scopes cost, but I'm happy with it.

I've had a big 40mm 4 power Tasco on my 10/22 for almost 20 years. It's never fogged in the winter, that's a quick test of any hunting scope. Optics are clear and bright. I've got leupold on my other rifle.

Twoblink,

I have a Ruger 10-22 and like you, I love it! I have mine topped with just a Simmons 3x9x40 and it does just fine. It's nothing fancy, but the squirrels hate it! :D

ruger.jpg

Best advice I can give, is go with what you can best afford - starting at Leupold. ;)

------------------
>>>>>>>>------------TMS---------------->>>

I have a Bushnell 40mm 3-9 scope on my 10/22 and I am very happy with it. I have heard some bad opinions of Bushnell but the scope seems to be working fine for me. I especially like the ammount of light the larger optics let in - better on cloudy days or during sun up-down.

Scott

My 10/22 is adorned with a Redfield Gold Star 1-4X on Weaver hi-Mount rings. The high mounts are more comfortable for me, but I rarely use their see-through capability. It really helps to have scopes with 1/4 minute adjustments on them, not 1/2". Unless you are shooting silhouette, 4X is usually quite enough.

I concur with the previous poster, ignore any scopes designed for .22s. They are too small and too fragile. The Simmons 3-9 variable at Wal-Mart is about $40 and is a good choice for little money.

My first 10/22 has a Tasco (ugh) 3-7X25 cheapo wide angle. It does the job though and seems to be holding up. I generally stay away from Tascos and Bushnells for scopes. But the rifle was only $115 10 years ago and I couldn't see spending more than the gun is worth. Stock scope rail.

My second and third have Leupold 4-12X40 VXIIs on them (one matte, one silver). The 10/22s have been customized (outside). Leupold one-piece bases/rings.

My fifth has a Leupold 6.5-20X40 VXIII matte that was taken from a Rem700 that was sold off. The 10/22 has been customized (myself). Too much scope for the caliber but it was just laying around doing nothing. Leupold one-piece base/rings.

BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO OVER TORQUE THE BASE(S) TO THE RECEIVER. IT IS VERY EASY TO STRIP THE THREADED HOLES.

Whenever I can't afford or don't want to spend too much for the German/Austrian scopes, I always fall back to Leupold, nothing else.

The best prices I've seen for bases and rings are from Midway : http://www.midwayusa.com/home.html . Free ground shipping too. Don't forget to Round-Up.

- Ron V.

[This message has been edited by hksigwalther (edited April 10, 2000).]

I've got a Tasco 4X 32mm on mine. Not the best scope but good enough for a rifle that will only be shot at under 100 yards. It seems silly to me to spend three times the price of the gun on a scope that performs better than the gun can. It's a .22LR carbine.

That said, it's fun as heck to customize. I put the extended mag release (a must for folks with fat fingers) and a target hammer/sear in. Now I can drop the mags easily and the trigger is MUCH better. Since I did all the installation myself the total cost was about $40.00 for the parts.

I've also got a Tasco 4X 32mm on my 10/22 and enjoy shooting the rifle much better with the scope than without. The scope lets me hit beer cans at 100 yards consistently--I couldn't do that with open sights. Yeah, it's a cheap scope--but it gets the job done and I got no complaints. Might get a Leupold someday just to see what everybody's talking about...

Shoot straight

freedomlover

------------------
Sic semper tyrannis

I have a Bushnell 4x38 wide-angle on mine and its never let me down...yeah its a cheap scope but it delivers. And it sucks the light in...gives me at least an extra hour of shooting around twilight.

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

Ah, scopes! I just bought a BSA 4x16x50 from Midway and have put it on 3 different .22's. It is now on my 10/22. It works great, but is definately clunky and big for this gun. I bought it for sparrows and starlings at 60yds.but mostly to use as a spotting scope to save my legs when sighting in others. I my 2 best scopes are both K-mart All-Pro's 1"x4x32 that I have had for 15+ yrs. They have been on many different guns, including use on my 12ga. slug gun. They hold zero year in and year out, xtreme temp. changes don't make no dif. I would like to use a hi$ scope just to see what I am missing. I haven't ever had a bad scope xcept the small dia. .22 scopes and they were pure junk.

Well just bought me a 10/22 today and wish that I had the extra money for the Simmons 3x9x40 the gun store had. Looks like I'll be scoping that rifle with a simmon before long. And my buddy thought a 40mm scope was too big on a 10/22; sure am glad that TFL is here to prove I'm not the only one that one a big scope on a .22

DaHaMac

------------------
Know Yourself, Know Your Weapon, Know Your Enemy; then Know Victory!

Back