Just picked up an AMT 'backup' .45

Status
Not open for further replies.

hes

Inactive
Just a short review to the group about this unusual and rarely discussed gun.

I found a total of 1 of these being offered at the Fort Worth gun show last weekend, and I bought it for $299 [Apparently they can be had for $260]. A little inspection and you quickly see that this tiny .45 is *very* well made, sold as a mini tank. It is the smallest .45 auto manufactured. It will easily fit in the pocket of my slim trousers, but at 22oz empty and 5+1 rounds installed it is a bit heavy. Recoil was not nearly as bad as I expected. The trigger pull is an enormous 12.5 lbs. DAO (that is why they call it a backup!), so no safety of any kind. That, and the barrel sites, makes this tiny pistol absolutely smooth and snag free.

The model really is a sleeper (as I had heard) - it is a nitch gun, with low demand so pricing is excellent. For max power and concealability, this little monster is in a group by itself. For certain concealed, close range protection, or as the ultimate backup when double carring, the AMT is highly (if not top) recommended.

I wish you luck with the AMT. It's certainly small. I never cared much for the heavyish trigger. I can't recall, but isn't the AMT a DAO? It may be difficult for even semi-rapid fire, they do tend to kick. Fast follow-ups are difficult with DAO if that's what it is.

I have carried an AMT as a backup and off duty weapon since 1996. I really like it. It does have some recoil, but the wt. helps a lot. I recently put a Wolff recoil spring in it and it improved it quite nicely. I have found that it is accurate out to 15 meters, whichis the farthest shot I had to make for qualification.

There are a lot of people who complain about the AMT. It is designed for back up and close up shots. It seems like a lot of critics hold it to full size duty weapon specs. It is not designed for that, IMHO.

They're cute, but 22 oz is just too heavy for an "always gun." .45 is just the thing for main battery, but if you have to get the weight up this high to use it in a pocket pistol, then I'll just go with the Kel Tec or the Khar in 9mm (which is a great pocket pistol round, anyway!).

Concealability and carryability are two diffent things. But I wish you luck! Maybe it will adequately fill your niche.

I have a .45 Backup, the trigger is heavy but I like the pistol. If yours works, all to the good. Mine has never failed to feed, fire and eject, all that is needed for a defensive pistol.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

[This message has been edited by Jim V (edited August 31, 1999).]

hes,

Thanks for the info. I went there and it appears a recent purchase by a new firm was transacted. They mentioned a purchase and a new factory. Let's hope great things arise from this venture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back