Just picked up a Mossberg 500a

Movian

Inactive
Hey, just picked myself up a Mossberg 500a used.

I think I got a reasonable deal (it's in good shape and paid $200 including tax).

Only problem I have is it has a 24" Slugster barrel and no threads for a choke. For my immediate purposes that's fine (home defense). However I was also hoping to use this as a turkey gun. Is it possible to get choke threads added to the barrel or should I look at getting a different barrel for hunting with?

This is a rifled barrel, so unless you are using slugs in sabots, for HD, you will get a doughnut pattern with shot. There are plenty of barrels out there, both new and used in lengths and with or without choke tubes.

Hey After your post I detached the barrel (I needed to take out the plug any way) and checked and it actually appears to be a smooth bore....

But I will still take a look for a used barrel that I can attach chokes too.

The slugster barrel is smoothbore, and shoots buckshot fine.
Mossberg 500's have been around so long, there are a lot of used barrels out there, and they can be found pretty cheap.
I lucked out and found a 20" vent rib accu-choke barrel for $75 a few years ago.

Last edited:
I screwed on a picatinny rail and attached an AFG to my 500A. im debating on the clip on truglo front sight or putting a top rail on it for some sort of low dollar reflex sight.

Well looks like I need to replace the safety (each shot jiggles it to safe so I have to push it back to fire after each shot).

so thats $30, also having trouble removing the magazine tube, but the follower got stuck so need to clean that out and or replace the spring. Just having trouble unscrewing it....

Tried the heat tricks for locktite, and a strap wrench but no luck so far...

The safest place to twist from to loosen the mag tube is on the end where the barrel attaches.
That's the sturdiest and thickest part of the mag tube.
Barrel cleaner will usually dissolve locktite, even the red stuff, if that's what's holding it.
Hope this helps.
If the safety switch isn't broken in half, the detent parts might be missing.
Someone might have taken them out and forgotten to replace them.
There's three parts in addition to the switch, the plate, detent ball and spring.
Probably the only way to get them is with the thumb switch as a kit, though.
If you're changing it, might as well get the metal switch, instead of a plastic one.

Last edited:
I was looking at the safety Enhanced design kit to replace the safety...

anyone know if they are any good? may as well replace the screw and plates if I am getting a new detent

Also the screw looks messed up, may need to cut the plasic safety off and use pliers to get that screw out....

just an FYI, when at the range do not use the Winchester aa low brass bird shot. it sticks in the chamber because of the cheap metal used. I had a buddy yesterday think his gun was messed up because of this.... until he tried a quality load.

Back