Just picked up a model 67 and some new Altamonts!

rblrbl

Inactive
I️ have a few of those police trade in model 10s, which I️ love. I’ve been looking for a k frame with adjustable sights, and I️ found a model 67 that looked nice on gunbroker. 4 inch stainless K frame in 38 with adjustable sights. Looks like it hasn’t been shot too much, and the trigger is pretty good. It’s not as buttery smooth as my well worn model 10s, but it seems like this 67 has a low round count. Should get smoother with time.

I️ took it to the range a few days ago and I’m very happy. Should be enjoying this classic for the rest of my life.

08afe9948413a3f105548592a71c39f6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a winner!

The Model 15s and 67s are among my favorite revolvers.

As a .38, everything is just right about them.

As to smoothness, do you mean the trigger is heavier
than your 10s? Smith springs vary and often a
Wilson or Wolff spring kit will give you good results.

I've noticed that recent production guns often have
lighter triggers than the older guns. I think Smith has
changed its spring specs in recent times. Or with the
newer MIM parts, the guns are more consistent than
the older ones where sometimes the fitting by the
assembler wasn't always as good from one to another.

Love my 67, it's not near as purty as yours but it's my favorite .38 sp. next to my 627 it's the best DA trigger of all my guns, and SA is just marvelous.

Nice score my friend,,,

Nice score my friend,,,
4" K-frames in general are superb guns.

I believe the Combat Masterpiece (15 or 67),,,
Is the finest all-around .38 revolver ever manufactured.

I own a 12, 15, 18, and a 67 myself,,,
All of them are fine shooters.

Aarond

I picked up a 67 cheap as a second gun in a purchase; a little Flitz, an hours worth of work and some fingergroove combats and I have a great gun.

I suppose that somewhere along the way, Smith & Wesson has made a bad 15/67.

I've never seen it or heard of it, but they could have.

Nice pickup.

15,000+ rounds

I bought my Model 67 new in March '14. I bought it as a pure fun gun - has no self-defense / carry purpose. As soon as I got it, save for a single test session at the range; I immediately sent it off for a trigger job, chamfered charge holes, and a fiber optic front sight. I've been shooting it extensively ever since; including IDPA and ICORE competition.

I put 10,000 rounds through it in just over a year. I have since tapered off with the shooting frequency, but it has over 15,000 rounds through it. I think it's just about broke in now :p

Anyway, it's a new 67; so it's not as nice as yours. But it's been a wonderful addition to my collection and is a real pleasure to shoot.

Last edited:
That's a beauty. I have a model 64-3 (model 10 in SS) that cleaned up very nicely. However, the models with adjustable rear sights and ramp front sights are much better looking than the gutter sight models.

I have gotten into the cheap grips from Thailand and I forgot how nice Altamonts actually are. Those set that piece off just right. Well done.

Wondering what dash number you got. Mine is a no dash that shoots great.

It’s a 67-1.

Also, the trigger has smoothed out some already. One day at the range and a small amount of CLP dripped inside and a half hour of dry fire with snap caps has helped.

The ultimate goal is to have the trigger as smooth as my well worn in police trade in model 10, which has the sweetest trigger pull you can possibly imagine. It spoils me for all others.

Those Altamonts look really nice. I have a 15-3 in nickel and have been contemplating what grips to get. Might have to check out their website.

Those Altamonts look really nice. I have a 15-3 in nickel and have been contemplating what grips to get. Might have to check out their website.

I’m a big fan of altamonts and have 3 or 4 of their grips. For the very high quality, they are actually well priced. It seems that anything comparable online is much more expensive. And I doubt anybody makes a better wood stock for anywhere near their price point. Fast also. I would not hesitate if I were you.

It’s a 67-1.

Also, the trigger has smoothed out some already. One day at the range and a small amount of CLP dripped inside and a half hour of dry fire with snap caps has helped.

The ultimate goal is to have the trigger as smooth as my well worn in police trade in model 10, which has the sweetest trigger pull you can possibly imagine. It spoils me for all others.

If you want a smoother trigger, I highly recommend getting a trigger job from someone who knows what they are doing. Dry firing will eventually improve the trigger, but even a great deal of dry firing will not smooth the trigger as well as an hour of stoning by qualified hands.

Replacing the springs can also help to improve the trigger, but it still takes some polishing to make these triggers all that they can be. And spring changes can cause other problems if they are not done judiciously.

If you want more information about the triggers in these revolvers, I wrote a long article on the subject.

The article is here:

Improving the trigger on Smith & Wesson Revolvers

The article is also discussed in this thread:

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=584772

300 more rounds

Perhaps I was inspired by this thread. But I took the '67 out to the range for a shoot this morning. Put another 300 rounds though it. Such a pleasure.

Back