Just picked these up. What are they worth?

The brass framed one is worth perhaps $150.

Depending upon the manufacturer, I believe the brasser G&G is worth more than that.

If it is a High Standard G&G it could well worth double that amount. A Navy Arms pistol in like description could possibly bring the same or more.

Cabela's sells the Pietta G&G 24/7 for ~$220. To my mind, they have never had a sale on that pistol. I bought mine last Christmas for that price.

If you are interested in selling, I would suggest you go to

http://www.gunbroker.com/Black-Powder-Pistols-Muzzleloader-Pistols/BI.aspx

and compare all of the offerings to get a comparison.

Last edited:
Hi mowin,

First off, we need better pics of the nomenclature/stampings/serial numbers on each pistol. It would also be helpful if you provided a picture of the manufacture date code (located on the left side of the frame: it will be alpha letters within a rectangle).

Having looked at the pics you posted, both are modern Italian replicas because of the proof stamps.

The cased pistol appears to be a stainless Remington New Model Army (known in some BP circles as an 1858 Remington, which it is not). Without any other pics of the stampings, I can go no further. Fingers McGee is always interested in stainless C&B revolvers. I hope he reads your post.

The brass-framed 1851 Colt .36 is a copy of the Confederate Griswold and Gunnison, having the round Dragoon-type barrel rather than the 1851 Navy octagonal barrel. High Standard made several of these (usually cased with a belt buckle and will be stamped G&G on the barrel lug) but early Navy Arms pistols may entertain the same characteristics, although not marked as such, and were basically made as shooters and, at the time, not as reproduction collector items.

One of your thumbnails appears to be of the barrel of a side by side shotgun and another of your RV. I'm sure you did not mean to include them.

You may have some gems, or you may not. I/We need better pics and info.

Both pistols appear to be in nice shape.

Eagerly awaiting further pics.

Jim

The Navy Arms is a Pietta.

I understand where you are coming from, but it won't be the same Pietta that one buys these days, nor will it have the same grip profile, nor does it have the classic Pietta "tail". Looking at the OP post, it appears to be an early Navy Arms, an HS, or another early Italian manufacturer.

Ok I see the date code looks like AD which would be 78. I don't think Uberti was still making brass frames in 78. It's most likely an ASM but could be a Palmetto. It should have a makers logo on it somewhere. BTW Pietta has done away with the tail. HS wouldn't have Italian markings.

Last edited:
Ok. I'm extremely busy the next few days. I promise I will get more detailed pics. The blued pistol does have made in Italy.

I looked quickly, and the stainless does have " Armi San Paolo-Brescia on the top rib of the barrel.

AK. You are correct o didn't mean to include my entire album, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to only post one pic. That said, there's nothing in my album I would want to hide. Lol.

You are correct. The double brl is a Joseph Manton pin fire I picked up with these blk pdr pistols along with several other long guns. Unfortunately, the pin fire is a Manton remake.

Fingers is looking for stainless Uberti Colts which Im always on the lookout for him. But either way, Nice looking revolvers.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I can't for the life of me figure out how to only post one pic.

Photobucket has started linking entire albums for some reason. Copy and paste the IMG tag and then delete the URL tag that automatically posts with it.

Ok I see the date code looks like AD which would be 78. I don't think Uberti was still making brass frames in 78. It's most likely an ASM but could be a Palmetto. It should have a makers logo on it somewhere. BTW Pietta has done away with the tail.

I know that, but other folks may not. I hope the OP gets some manufacturer's logos/pics upon closer inspection. As he stated, he is busy these days, unlike some of us retired old farts like me.

Glad I got my 2014 [CM] 1851 Navy .36 when I did. One of these days the "tail" will be a collector's item for repro collectors.

Just a comparison: 2015 [CN] Pietta G&G .36 and the 2014 [CM] Pietta 1851 Navy .36 2nd Model Squareback (last year of the "tail" insofar as I know). The newer Pietta grip profile is much thicker/deeper at the wrist than the "tail" profile and is, I guess, somewhat more conventional in some minds (and I think we have been down this road before concerning original Colt grip profiles), but the "tail" feels better in the hand to me.

1851_GampG%20008_zps8srvxzph.jpg

But, I digress. Apologies to the OP, as I do not wish to stray too far from your thread.

Photobucket has started linking entire albums for some reason. Copy and paste the IMG tag and then delete the URL tag that automatically posts with it.

When I post images from Photobucket, all I do is click on the image in my album and then click on IMG (in the rectangular box) to the right of the pic. I get no URL tags whatsoever.

Just sayin'.

Jim

Regarding your stainless 1858 Remington NMA, Cabela's sells similar guns made by Pietta for $350
http://www.cabelas.com/product/shoo...uts?destination=/catalog/browse.cmd?N=1115136

Cabela's sells the brass framed G&G for $220
http://www.cabelas.com/product/shoo...uts?destination=/catalog/browse.cmd?N=1115136

Cabela's has a sale on these guns once to twice a year and knocks off $50 or more.

So what are your guns value? Whatever you can find someone willing to pay for them.

I've been showing off my group of Pietta revolvers to friends. One friend asked me "How much are they worth?" I say about $200 each on sale at Cabela's. Sure I paid a little more for them but not that much.

If I were you, I'd keep em. Go buy some FFFG black powder, Remington #10 caps, a powder measure and powder flask, Hornady ball, and have some fun!
I compare shooting these guns to the 4th of July. With all the smoke and flash they are a blast to shoot!

Back