Just one problem with speedstrips... How do you solve this?

cana

A lot of people still carry revolvers, and spare ammo is usually one or two speedoaders or Bianchi speedstrips. For those of you who carry speedstrips, how do you practice reloading? I mean, what do you do with the strip still containing three or four rounds, if you don't have enough time to reload all six? Do you keep it in your weak hand? That doesn't seem a good idea, since we should always try to shoot two handed. Dropping the strip isn't a better solution, since we're wasting the remaining rounds. And putting it in your pocket can be pretty hard while someone is shooting you. Wouldn't we be in a better situation carrying ammo in shell loops or in a 2x2x2 pouch?

Thanks for your replies, guys!

If the shooter is only going to load 2 or 4 rounds, they had better know how to index the cylinder or if pressed for time, better have a quick trigger finger to rotate that loaded cylinder into battery. I don't see what the problem is in retaining a partially loaded speed strip in one's hand. It's not a large or obtruse object like a speedloader. So the grip may feel different, in a pinch it won't matter.

If you don't have enough time to finish loading drop the thing and take are of business. You can always pick it up later.

If allowed at your range...........practice shooting, tacticle short reloads, shooting etc..........with a buddy yelling commands and info at you. Not real but it helps.

Sam

I've always thought of speedstrips as best for tactical reloads--kick out a couple of empties (behind cover, of course), reload a couple live ones and continue forthwith. The object is not to shoot your piece dry and be stuck with an empty handgun, but rather to keep it fully loaded-- accuracy, common sense and tactics first then speed.

You have to be one cool customer to shoot 2 or 3 rounds from your revolver and then open the cylinder, pick out the spent rounds, then reload....i always practice loading all five at a time in my j- frame...i think you are better prepared with a few rounds in your gun than being caught trying to pick out empties...under that kind of stress having to pick the dead primers and not lose the live rounds seems a bit iffy.....and this goes back to the age old debate...if you think you need to reload, maybe you should up your capacity...i carry a bianchi speed strip out of habit cause it fits nicely in my watch pocket...but when i think about seriously needing a bit more firepower. I usually grab my P7.....

I agree completely with D.S.I.M. In fact, I always carry a Mdl. 60 in a pocket holster (and have for many years), and a Bianchi Speed Strip in my watch pocket.

In the middle of a gun fight, you have more to worry about than trying to pick two or three spent cartridge cases from your revolver. Keep your eyes on the point of danger.

FWIW. J.B.

I'm with juliet charlie on this one. A 'tactical' reload should only be done when time or circumstances allow for it, and from behind suitable cover. Nomally, I always have both a SpeedStrip AND a speedloader. The BUG can be the quickest 'reload', however.:D

I figure the most likely time for top off is if you have fired a shot or two and cannot find another target, from cover, top off. Silly to have a cylinder or magazine in the gun that is less than full unless you are in the process of firing it.

If I had fired 5 from a 17 rnd hi pow and it got quiet, would slap in a fresh mag. Just because the immediate problem seems solved is no guarentee that the rest of the day or night is going to be tranquill.

My BUGs usually just as quick to draw as the primary, therefore quickest reload.

Sam

Back