Just how fragile IS a Python?

Brad

In reviewing past Python-related threads, many individuals characterize the Python as a relatively fragile firearm. My interest in this area has increased as I recently picked up a like-new 1975, 4" nickel version. I don't know if this particular firearm isrepresentative of the breed but it locks up tight, has an action that is as smooth as glass and is a joy to hold and shoot.

As a revolver lover I decided it was time to add one to my permanent stable before they became too expensive to consider. I took it to the range last weekend and had a great time with standard factory .357 fodder. But I started to wonder after reading some past threads about its long-term durability.

I have a S&W M28 that is also a joy to shoot. I know that I can run the hotter loads through this that I might not want to make a habit of with the Python. My question is: How many .357 rounds do you think I can run thru the Python (on an annual basis) and still maintain the integrity of the action?? That is, if I want it to accompany me to the range for the next 20 years or so.

Would appreciate your thoughts on this, especially from owners who shoot their Python's on a regular basis.

Thanks.

Python fragility problems are talked about much more than they occur.

Its kind of like all those problems with Beretta 92 slides breaking... every gunshop commando knows a guy that happened to....

My dad has had a python since about 1975 that he, I, and about every body in the family has shot like heck. I have no idea what the round count would be, but it would have to be huge. It still works like a swiss watch.

I have a python with several thousands of rounds thru it, and still no problems.

And I am talking about 125g 357 JHPs, not 38s.

Now certainly I dont think a python is as strong as an N frame S&W or a Ruger blackhawk. But for all practical purposes, I dont think you have to worry much about wearing one out, or having it go out of time.

Shoot that python, and dont worry about it.

Pythons will get out of time easier than a Ruger. I have never seen a Ruger go out of time, but I have seen Pythons shave lead on the forcing cone.

To me the biggest problem with having a Python for self defense purposes is that if you short stroke the trigger and pull hard the gun will bind up and it will have to be disassembled and parts replaced to repair it. A S&W or Ruger will simply index to the next round when short stroked, it does take the gun out of action.

i used to carry a 4" python as my duty weapon when i started in law enforcement. it was a used chp gun so i had the action tuned (timming checked)

i shot it for 5 years with speer 140gr jhp magnum loads and never had a problem. i retired it for a 1911, put on a 6" barrel and shot it for 3 years in PPC (thousands of wadcutter rounds in practice and competition)

i still use it for home defense loaded with the 140gr mags and it still clover leafs out past 20 yards (off-hand, not off a rest).

the only spitting i have ever experienced was with the wadcutters after long strings of practice

they (PPC shooters) told me the python would go out of time too but it never got that bad for me.

i save my heavy loads for my 8.375" m-27

I think this is hilarious! Years ago, the "experts" were telling everyone to get rid of their S&W M19's because they "wouldn't stand up to many Magnum loads". Their advise back then: "Buy a PYTHON they'll take lots of Magnum rounds"!!!!

I just checked my Python's for short stroke damage. I delibrately short stroked, and pulled hard----no damage, no jam.

The 357 ammo you buy now is much milder than original (1935 spec) ammo. I think anything off the shelf, with the exception of some of the hot specialty stuff, will be just fine.

If you handload, save the warm loads for a ruger.

I bought a 6" blued version in 1975. I shot a few boxes of the hot 125's through it but mostly handloads consisting of 3.2 grains of Bullseye with a 148 grain wadcutter and .357 brass. It was a beautiful pistol and I still remember it fondly but the cylinder wouldn't follow up on 3 of the chambers in reaaaaaal slow cock after about a thousand rounds. And it developed play between the crane and the frame. So it kind of rattled whenever you oriented it to a different postion. I beveled the top of the bolt so that when the leading edge of the (can't remember what you call 'em - the slots in the cylinder that the bolt engages) caught the bolt (it would get that far) the angle of the bolt and the spring tension upwards would cam the cylinder the rest of the way around. That worked fine. For a while I used one thickness of scotch tape to shim the play between the crane and the frame. It would definitely outshoot my S&W model 28 in pure single-action paper punching. I believe the Python had a slightly tighter bore than the S&W's. The weakness of the Python is the rear-only lockup and the fact that the cylinder release drags across the star of the extractor unless you remember to pull the cylinder release out of the way when you close the cylinder. If I'd been a capable pistolsmith and knew how to properly rectify things like the carry up and the looseness between the crane and the frame, I'd have probably kept it. For a while I even toyed with the idea of drilling a hole in the frame and inserting a small powerful magnet to keep the crane pulled into the frame. But I didn't. I found somebody who wanted it really badly and that was that. Obviously I wish I had it back. It was very accurate and though the S&W had a better trigger pull both single and double action in my opinion, the Python would outshoot it.

PS
My 70's and early 80's S&W's (28-29-25 and later a 686) all quit carrying up properly in slow-cock after a couple thousand rounds. I bought Nonte's book on pistolsmithing and tried his trick of peening the hand to lengthen it but it never worked for me. I now shoot Rugers for the strength but I sure miss those nice S&W trigger pulls. And I'd like my Python back. Ah well............

The range I used to go to rented pistols for shooters (near military installation - Mil ID required). It had a couple of Pythons that saw zillions of .357/.38spl rounds go through it. Spoke to the owner about them one day. Except for the cylinder going out of time periodically, these guns hold up very well to extensive shooting. It's not a "hammer and anvil" like a Ruger GP100, but I would say that's tough enough in it's own right.

Back