Just how "drop in" are Timney triggers?

Sub MOA

Am considering a Timney trigger on a Mauser action. How much of a gunsmith does a guy have to be to install said trigger? Between my father and I, we have done small smithing jobs, and Dad has done quite a bit of stock work and inletting. What are our chances of getting it done correctly with safety obviously being our chief concern?

Thanks,
Sub

Sub, I did some several of these early on in my hobby gunsmithing without a problem. This is not a big project unless the trigger assembly doesn't fit properly in some way.
I would wait for George's expert opinion on this. There are several test for saftey's sake to be done after the job.

The major test is to ensure trigger reset. This means that if the safety is applied and the trigger pulled, the trigger/sear will reengage when the trigger is released. If this does not happen, the gun will fire when the safety is released without the trigger being pulled. This is DANGEROUS!

There also needs to be sufficient sear engagement. This should be OK if the installer/owner does not tamper with the factory setting.

Jim

Sub, as Jim said, you need to test everything to ensure the rifle is safe. With Timney's it depends on the stock as to how much work is involved. I've seen several slip right in with no inletting. If the timney unit isn't in contact with the stock it will work fine. George

Back